1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Alkyl Halides

1. Apr 2, 2008 #1
    This is my question...
    For the alkyl halide tell which mechanism, E1 or E2, will predominate under both stongly basic (with large base) conditions and strongly acidic. Tell if each reaction is expected to proceed relatively quickly, moderately, or slow (based on sterics for E2 and carbocation stability for E1). Finally, name the primary alkene produced in each case.

a.) 2-chloro-3-s-butylhexane

b.) 1-chloro-3-s-butylhexane

c.) 3-chloro-3-s-butylhexane

My answer...only part of part (a)...

acidic prefers E1, moderate rate, major product 3-s-butly-2-hexene. basic prefers E2.

How do I solve for the rest?? Someone please help me!
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2008 #2
    I'm sorry, I put this in the wrong forum and I do not know how to move it. This is a homework question.
  4. Apr 7, 2008 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I found this discussion on the Web:

For acid-catalyzed eliimnation, the first step is the protonation of the halogen followed by elimination of the hydrogen halide. A carbocation is the result. (kinda like E1 in that respect)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?