Alkylation of terminal alkynes

• Thread starter MarcL
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses different possibilities for preparing different alkynes using an acetylide anion and alkyl halide. The options include cutting at the first methyl group or at the triple bond, but the answer key does not mention the possibility of cutting further in. The definition for "acetylide ion" is also mentioned.
MarcL
Thread moved from Chemistry forum
I was having "trouble" with a question: What acetylide anion and alkyl halide can be used to prepare each alkyne? Indicate all possibilities when more than one route will work
CH3C≡CCH2CH2CH2CH3

I know 2 possibilities... I can "cut" at the first methyl group and create a methyl halide + the nucleophile. OR I can "cut" at the triple bond ( right after... sorry for my terminology) to create the nucleophile + 1° alkyl halide.

My answer key doesn't say i can cut "further" in, like let's say at the 2nd CH2 or third, which is weird to me because all of them will be able to create a substitution reaction... no? :/

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

It's simpler than you think. Look at the original question, and tell me the definition for "acetylide ion."

1. What is alkylation of terminal alkynes?

Alkylation of terminal alkynes is a chemical reaction in which an alkyl group (a group of atoms containing carbon and hydrogen) is added to the end of an alkyne molecule. This process involves the replacement of a hydrogen atom on the alkyne with an alkyl group, resulting in the formation of a new carbon-carbon bond.

2. What is the purpose of alkylation of terminal alkynes?

The purpose of alkylation of terminal alkynes is to increase the length of the carbon chain and introduce functional groups to the alkyne molecule. This can alter the physical and chemical properties of the molecule, making it more useful in various applications.

3. What are the reagents used in alkylation of terminal alkynes?

The most commonly used reagents in alkylation of terminal alkynes are strong bases, such as sodium amide, potassium hydroxide, or sodium hydride, and alkyl halides, such as methyl iodide, ethyl bromide, or tert-butyl chloride. These reagents facilitate the addition of the alkyl group to the alkyne molecule.

4. What are some potential side reactions in alkylation of terminal alkynes?

One potential side reaction in alkylation of terminal alkynes is deprotonation of the alkyne by the strong base, resulting in the formation of an alkyne anion. This can then react with the alkyl halide to form a new carbon-carbon bond at a different position on the alkyne molecule. Another potential side reaction is the formation of byproducts, such as elimination or substitution products, due to the reactivity of the alkyl halide.

5. What are some applications of alkylation of terminal alkynes?

Alkylation of terminal alkynes has various applications in organic synthesis, such as in the production of pharmaceuticals, agrochemicals, and materials. It is also used in the preparation of alkynes with specific functional groups, which can be further used in a variety of reactions to produce complex molecules. Additionally, alkylation of terminal alkynes is employed in the synthesis of natural products and in the development of new organic compounds for industrial use.