1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Alkylation of terminal alkynes

1. Oct 29, 2014 #1
    • Thread moved from Chemistry forum
    I was having "trouble" with a question: What acetylide anion and alkyl halide can be used to prepare each alkyne? Indicate all possibilities when more than one route will work
    CH3C≡CCH2CH2CH2CH3

I know 2 possibilities... I can "cut" at the first methyl group and create a methyl halide + the nucleophile. OR I can "cut" at the triple bond ( right after... sorry for my terminology) to create the nucleophile + 1° alkyl halide.

My answer key doesn't say i can cut "further" in, like let's say at the 2nd CH2 or third, which is weird to me because all of them will be able to create a substitution reaction... no? :/

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2014 #2
    Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

4. Nov 6, 2014 #3
    It's simpler than you think. Look at the original question, and tell me the definition for "acetylide ion."

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted