Boost Your Antenna Design Skills: Essential Resources for Microwave Antennas

• Thread starter AhmedEzz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Antennas
In summary, a member of the PF forum is seeking help with a project on microwave antenna design at a university. They are looking for resources to understand the basics of antennas and antenna parameters, as well as simulation software. Some helpful resources suggested by other members include articles and books on antenna theory, the ARRL Antenna Handbook, and software such as Microwave Office.
AhmedEzz
Dear PF members , I need you help. I am offered to work on a project at a University. The offered project is microwave antenna design. I asked for some topics to study to keep me updated and ready to work on the project from day one and the professor gave me these :

small antennas, planar antennas, GSM antennas, reconfigurable antennas, switchable antennas, dual band antennas, quad band antennas, vehicular antennas, GPS antennas

Now I am going to second year electrical engineering and I took 2 modules in electromagnetism. However, I never studied antennas before. So I need good articles, books, tuts, whatever you can find that would make this fast and most of all efficient.

I only have 15 days, please PF members, help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Guys any hint, tip, help, clue on the subject will be much appreciated. I already described my situation and I hope anyone can help to at least get me started.

get a good grasp of what antenna is, the types out there, the differences between them. it will help you understand why people build antenna and use different antennas in different application as well as drawbacks. once you understand this, it will make more sense to build one.

The article at wikipedia.org on antennas is a good intro, and has links out to more info sites. Try starting there for your web reading and research.

The ARRL Antenna Handbook is newly revised, and is an excellent reference, although it is probably a bit light on microwave antennas:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0872599876/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I already read the wikipedia article (good but insufficient) and I explored the link you posted but is there not something for my level (beginner / undergrad) ?

Moreover, which of the previously stated topics would be the best (easiest) to tackle first?

Not exactly "microwave",

But you can simulate the fields of a small dipole antenna on matlab. Plot out the fields in 3D and then drill down into the physics behind it. It's all EM.

Thank you all for helping me out. After some talks with the professor, he said that I will be mainly running simulations using third-party software. He asked me to study the basics of antennas well and especially antenna "parameters"...

can anyone add something to the recipe that might help? Does anyone have experience with simulation software?

AhmedEzz said:
Thank you all for helping me out. After some talks with the professor, he said that I will be mainly running simulations using third-party software. He asked me to study the basics of antennas well and especially antenna "parameters"...

can anyone add something to the recipe that might help? Does anyone have experience with simulation software?

Another engineer that I work with has had a very positive experience with some antenna modelling software recently. I'll check with him on Monday and post the links. PM me if I don't post on Monday (work is intense right now).

Antenna Theory, Analysis and Design by Balanis is one of the clearest books on the subject. Knowledge of Maxwell's equations is assumed.

Yes I got that book, thanks for your participation though.

E&M by Krauss
Antennas by Krauss
all of the ARRL books on antennas. There is a specific one for UHF and Microwave items.

There is a program out there Microwave Office. It allows computer simulations, measurements, etc. I haven't used it, but hear it is good.

Hope this helps somewhat...

Thanks man, sure everything helps, those who actually bother & reply to help other people are the essence of this forum.Unlike leechers who simply ask questions and never help anyone.

AhmedEzz said:
Thanks man, sure everything helps, those who actually reply to help other people are the essence of this forum.

Fixed up that reply for you.

Best not to tick off the hands that feed you. :wink:

1. What is the purpose of "Boost Your Antenna Design Skills: Essential Resources for Microwave Antennas?"

The purpose of this resource is to provide a comprehensive guide for improving one's skills in designing microwave antennas. It offers essential resources and tips to help individuals enhance their knowledge and techniques in this specialized field.

2. Who can benefit from "Boost Your Antenna Design Skills: Essential Resources for Microwave Antennas?"

This resource can benefit anyone who is involved in the design or development of microwave antennas, including students, researchers, engineers, and professionals in the telecommunications or aerospace industries.

3. What types of resources are included in "Boost Your Antenna Design Skills: Essential Resources for Microwave Antennas?"

This resource includes a variety of resources, such as articles, books, online courses, software tools, and design examples, all focused on improving antenna design skills for microwave frequencies.

4. Are there any specific prerequisites or knowledge required to benefit from this resource?

While some basic understanding of antenna design principles and microwave frequencies may be helpful, this resource is designed to be accessible to individuals of all levels of expertise. It can serve as both an introduction to the topic and a reference for more experienced individuals.

5. Can "Boost Your Antenna Design Skills: Essential Resources for Microwave Antennas" be used for self-study or is it better suited for a classroom setting?

This resource can be used for both self-study and in a classroom setting. It is structured in a way that allows individuals to learn at their own pace, but can also serve as a valuable supplement to a formal course on microwave antenna design.