Can Sound Waves Break Glasses? All About Sound Waves

In summary, the conversation discusses the possible effects of sound on physical objects, such as breaking walls or wine glasses. It is believed that when the frequency of the sound wave matches the natural frequency of the object, it can cause the object to vibrate and eventually break. However, this is generally difficult to achieve and may require specific conditions, such as using a crystal wine glass. There are also references to biblical stories and fictional depictions of this phenomenon.
franz32
Is it true that people can sing better inside a bathroom? How could that be?

Other links in internet tells about that Walls of Jericho (Old TEstamament).
Joshua and his men surrounded the city, blew their trumpets and shouted very loudly... then the wall crumbled... I always thought of that x-men siryn who can destroy things by shouting loudly... is that physically possible, especially that of the wall?

Can sopranos or very high-pitched people break wine glasses by singing an appropriate note? I saw it in some Filipino movies... is that true? I don't know if that's fictionor whatever...

Physics news on Phys.org
Theoretically it is possible.

When the frequency of the sound wave matches natural frequency of the object, the object will then starts to oscillate with a larger amplitude hence more energy, the object would eventually reach a critical state where the atoms would no longer be able to hold together and break apart.

franz32 said:
Can sopranos or very high-pitched people break wine glasses by singing an appropriate note? I saw it in some Filipino movies... is that true? I don't know if that's fictionor whatever...

It depends on the wine glass but it is generally extremely difficult to do. The only way I’ve seen it done was with a focused speaker being placed close to the wine glass and the singers voice recorded and amplified and played over the speaker.

Its true. But you need a crystal wine glass. I don't know about shape. And the thicker the better(I think). The person would thick on the glasss, listen to the note and sing the same note(I think). And then it will break.

1. Can sound waves actually break glasses?

Yes, sound waves have the potential to break glasses. This phenomenon is known as resonance, where the frequency of the sound wave matches the natural frequency of the glass, causing it to vibrate and eventually shatter.

2. What types of sound waves can break glasses?

Any sound wave with a high enough amplitude and frequency can potentially break glasses. However, the most common type is a high-pitched sound wave, such as that produced by a soprano singer or a high-pitched musical instrument like a violin.

3. How loud does the sound have to be to break a glass?

The sound does not necessarily have to be loud, but it does need to have a high amplitude and frequency. The exact decibel level required to break a glass varies depending on the size and thickness of the glass, but it typically ranges between 100-120 decibels.

4. Can sound waves break any type of glass?

Yes, sound waves have the potential to break any type of glass, including tempered or safety glass. However, thicker and stronger glasses may require a louder sound or a more specific frequency to break.

5. Is it dangerous to intentionally try to break glasses with sound waves?

Yes, it can be dangerous to intentionally try to break glasses with sound waves. Not only does it require precise and controlled conditions, but the shattered glass can also be a safety hazard. It is always best to leave this type of experiment to professionals.