All Air and Space News Thread.

In summary, the F-35 program has incurred a major breach of cost-monitoring thresholds and will have to be recertified to continue. The Pentagon has announced Vice Adm. David Venlet as the new F-35 program leader, but delays are expected for the first operational units. Northrop Grumman's top innovators are being replaced, possibly for a new aviation project. France's defense budget will be cut by 3.5 billion euros, but the sale of assets may reduce the amount to 1.5 billion euros. No cuts are expected for the Rafale.
MotoH
Find an interesting article about a new technology, new design, and whatever else is related to things that fly? Post her here!

It's Official: The F-35 program has incurred a major breach of Nunn-McCurdy cost-monitoring thresholds and, per US law, will have to be recertified as sound to continue, Defense Department acquisition executive Ash Carter told the Senate Armed Services Committee Thursday. http://www.airforce-magazine.com/Pages/default.aspx"

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Great thread idea MotoH. I read this on my AIAA email newsletter. Sad, but not unexpected if you know your aircraft production history...

Cyrus said:
Great thread idea MotoH. I read this on my AIAA email newsletter. Sad, but not unexpected if you know your aircraft production history...

Not showing up for me?

Huh?

Cyrus said:
Huh?

Thought you posted an article, but now I get it! Sorry for confusion!

No Fanfare: In a routine senior officer announcement, the Pentagon revealed that Vice Adm. David Venlet would fill the F-35 hot seat. How hot? Ash Carter, the Pentagon acquisition guru, just revealed the F-35 would indeed breach Nunn-McCurdy and the Air Force likely would not field its first operational F-35 unit until 2016—about three years late—as would the Navy. contd.
http://www.airforce-magazine.com/Pages/default.aspx"

I really wish that I could link to specific articles instead of the homepage of afm. I can access some of the articles from my email, but others I cant. Oh well.

Seems like a lot of things get delayed lately. Is this a money issue, or is it more towards the technological issues they are facing with the plane?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PA-0xgTJFE

PARIS, July 1 (Reuters) - France's defence budget will be cut by 3.5 billion euros ($4.28 billion) in 2011-2013, a source familiar with the matter said on Thursday, as part of a government drive to reduce public spending.

However, France's Defence Ministry hopes the overall amount cut could fall to 1.5 billion euros thanks to income of around 2 billion euros from the sale of barracks and telecoms frequencies, said the source.

The budget will come to 30.1 billion euros in 2011 as in 2010, 30.5 billion euros in 2012 and 31 billion euros in 2013.
http://www.xe.com/news/2010/07/01/1...utm_content=NOGEO&utm_campaign=News_RSS_Art1"

No cuts for the Rafale!

1. What is the purpose of the "All Air and Space News Thread"?

The purpose of the "All Air and Space News Thread" is to provide a centralized source for all news and updates related to the fields of aviation and space exploration. It aims to keep readers informed and up-to-date on the latest developments in these industries.

2. Who is the target audience for the "All Air and Space News Thread"?

The target audience for the "All Air and Space News Thread" is anyone with an interest in aviation and space. This can include scientists, engineers, enthusiasts, and the general public.

3. How often is the "All Air and Space News Thread" updated?

The "All Air and Space News Thread" is updated on a regular basis, typically multiple times a day. However, the frequency of updates may vary depending on the availability of newsworthy information.

4. Can anyone contribute to the "All Air and Space News Thread"?

At this time, only authorized individuals are able to contribute to the "All Air and Space News Thread". This ensures that all information shared on the thread is accurate and reliable.

5. Is the information on the "All Air and Space News Thread" credible?

Yes, the information on the "All Air and Space News Thread" is thoroughly researched and verified before being shared. The thread is maintained by a team of experts in the fields of aviation and space, ensuring that all information is credible and trustworthy.

Back