Find the Building: Solve the Clues & Show the Map!

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary, the city is located in France, close to a river and a train station, and it is in the center of the city.
1oldman2 said:
Toward a gap in the pines, Ralph's wife springs,
these are a few of my favorite things. :nb)

Stuart where is the highway, to Hatt creek road,
it leads to a place that deals in NSA code. :wideeyed:

The snowman's falcon,dealt with this place,
back in the days of the cold war space race. :sat:
Ugh, this is hard . . . Here's what I'm thinking:

"The snowman's falcon" is reference to the book and film The Falcon and the Snowman. In the story, two guys disclose United States security to the Soviet Union. The Soviet Union was also part of the "cold war space race" against the US, battling for who was better in achieving spaceflight.

So is the place somewhere in Russia? Ukraine? Somewhere in that region? :oldconfused:

Last edited:
Likes 1oldman2
Science news on Phys.org
ProfuselyQuarky said:
Ugh, this is hard . . . Here's what I'm thinking:

"The snowman's falcon" is reference to the book and film The Falcon and the Snowman. In the story, two guys disclose United States security to the Soviet Union. The Soviet Union was also part of the "cold war space race" against the US, battling for who was better in achieving spaceflight.

So is the place somewhere in Russia? Ukraine? Somewhere in that region? :oldconfused:

Copy that Profusely, but who is Ralph?

Likes 1oldman2
wolram said:
Copy that Profusely, but who is Ralph?
The only Ralph I now is Ralph Lauren :woot:

I'm looking, I'm looking . . .

270px-Pine_Gap_by_Skyring.jpg

Alice springs Australia

Last edited:
Likes 1oldman2
Pine Gap is the commonly used name for a satellitetracking station approximately 18 kilometres (11 mi) south-west of the town of Alice Springs, Northern Territory in the center of Australia which is operated by both Australia and the United States. Since 1988, it has been officially called the Joint Defense Facility Pine Gap; previously, it was known as Joint Defense Space Research Facility.[1

Likes 1oldman2 and ProfuselyQuarky
Assuming that is right here is another:
First you must travel to the land of the famous biscuit
Then you must find two buildings one vertical one not
Built circa 1100 used for some form of flag waving.
Famous for its opera,

Last edited:
Likes 1oldman2
Way to go gang! Quarky, you hit it dead on with the book Falcon and the Snowman. Wolram you get the nod for "Pine Gap" Alice Springs.
So to clarify, Ralph's (Cramden from the honeymooners) wife was the famous Alice (rumored to be the first woman on the moon) :DD.
So she "Springs" toward the "gap in the pines"
To get to pine Gap you would take the Stuart highway to Hatt creek Rd. "Pine gap is still affiliated with the NSA"
And finally Profusely, The book you mentioned ties it all together.:smile:
(One more note, when the Falcon was finally captured he was playing "mountain man" near where I live but over in northern Idaho)

Okay sorry about the delay in responding, good show everyone.:wink:

wolram said:
Assuming that is right here is another:
First you must travel to the land of the famous biscuit
Then you must find two buildings one vertical one not
Built circa 1100 used for some form of flag waving.
Famous for its opera,
I have feeling "cracking" the famous biscuit part is going to be the most important part of solving this one...hmmm, let me think.

hubble_friday_03252016.jpg

Totally unrelated but I keep pondering this cluster mash up while contemplating the biscuit clue... :oldeyes:

Likes wolram
Beautiful picture, while you are solving this clue i am going to watch the world series of snooker:biggrin:

wolram said:
Beautiful picture, while you are solving this clue i am going to watch the world series of snooker:biggrin:
Hoping your latest riddle doesn't have me "snookered" :biggrin:

Last edited:
Could Belgium biscuits figure into this?

Digestive biscuits from the UK are pretty famous.

Likes 1oldman2
There is one biscuit one can put a name to.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky and 1oldman2
ProfuselyQuarky said:
Digestive biscuits from the UK are pretty famous.
Great, I'll try that angle too! problem I'm finding is there are a lot of famous biscuit locations.:oldconfused: so I'm working the other clues at the same time hoping something comes together. Did I mention this thread is fairly educational also?

Likes ProfuselyQuarky and collinsmark
1oldman2 said:
Did I mention this thread is fairly educational also?
I'm learning more from this thread than Geography.

Likes 1oldman2
wolram said:
There is one biscuit one can put a name to.
Keep those clues coming. :smile:

He, He, i am getting eddmucated all the time:DD

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
1oldman2 said:
Keep those clues coming. :smile:

This biscuit is named after some one famous, a captain or even a general maybe.

wolram said:
This biscuit is named after some one famous, a captain or even a general maybe.
Garibaldi biscuits?!

Likes wolram
There I go thinking literally again, stop that, stop that! :headbang:

ProfuselyQuarky said:
Garibaldi biscuits?!

Could be.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
Are the buildings themselves famous for opera or just the land in which the buildings are in?

collinsmark said:
Are the buildings themselves famous for opera or just the land in which the buildings are in?

Just the place they are in.

Piazza del Duomo? It's one of the only building that I found in Italy that was built in circa 1100. It's located in Pisa, which has the Teatro Verdi di Pisa, an opera house. The not-so-vertical building could be the Leaning Tower of Pisa. The vertical one can be the cathedral.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/P...2!3m1!1s0x132a54023b4bd26f:0x8d34b89a4bd812ae

Good one, wolram, this is a toughy. And then again, they all are . . . :oldconfused:

Last edited:
Likes 1oldman2
ProfuselyQuarky said:
Piazza del Duomo? It's one of the only building that I found in Italy that was built in circa 1100. It's located in Pisa, which has the Teatro Verdi di Pisa, an opera house. The vertical building could be the Leaning Tower of Pisa.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/P...2!3m1!1s0x132a54023b4bd26f:0x8d34b89a4bd812ae

Good one, wolram, this is a toughy. And then again, they all are . . . :oldconfused:

I* think you have to think about the opera, the buildings are separated by a few Mtrs

collinsmark said:

One more clue the place has an airport. about 200 km (120 mi) south-east of Milan

EDIT

One day busy with tests and all of you solved so many riddles!

This one is really good too. I am beginning to find search engines are a must for this game. In addition to the hints, I base my inference on the wonderful questions and deductions by @collinsmark, @ProfuselyQuarky and @1oldman2. :smile:

@wolram: "Maybe" as an answer was key! Was it not also referring to the fried Bologna biscuit?!

the-two-towers-in-bologna-castenaso.jpg

The Bologna Two Towers?

Likes ProfuselyQuarky, wolram and 1oldman2
Just a guess here, but I'm guessing that the "some form of flag waving" hint might be a reference to the Semaphore Telegraph towers [perhaps the system introduced by Claude Shappe (and used in the Napoleonic period)]. These were used for a form of communication involving visual "semaphore" signals sent from tower to tower, manned by people with small telescopes. These sorts of semaphore systems were the precursor to the electrical telegraph.

My guess presumes that perhaps one of these towers, in a network, was next to an opera house. (The opera house must have been a preexisting structure at the time of the semaphore introduction, since there is a time differential of of several hundred years between circa 1100 till the time of these semaphore systems.)

I'm not getting far in linking the two though. So if anybody wishes to follow up on this idea, by all means feel free. [Edit: By that I mean feel free to take this idea and run with it if you want (I don't know if it's really relevant, but if you think it might have merit, go for it)].

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing, @collinsmark. I did not know about the Semaphore Telegraph towers -- they are rather interesting. I also quite like this line of thought and had in fact attributed the same meaning to "flag-waving" (i.e. a means of communication) myself :biggrin:, by considering "signaling" towers similar to lighthouses. Although, unless I misunderstand wolram's new hint:

wolram said:
I* think you have to think about the opera, the buildings are separated by a few Mtrs

I think he means the buildings (as the opera was not specifically referred to as a building in both, this hint, and the original), i.e. the vertical and non-vertical buildings are separated by a few meters, and I therefore abandoned this approach because there would be no real benefit in such communication between buildings so close by each other.

I believe Bologna's Two Towers fit the hints well, but in their case, the meaning of "flag-waving" is symbolic, and perhaps denotes the dominance of rich families. As this is uncertain, and in case I did misunderstand wolram's hint, it may be quite rewarding to follow this line of thought, but as of my previous attempt, I too have hit a roadblock.

Likes collinsmark
Infinitum said:
One day busy with tests and all of you solved so many riddles!

This one is really good too. I am beginning to find search engines are a must for this game. In addition to the hints, I base my inference on the wonderful questions and deductions by @collinsmark, @ProfuselyQuarky and @1oldman2. :smile:

@wolram: "Maybe" as an answer was key! Was it not also referring to the fried Bologna biscuit?!

Well done Infinitum.

the-two-towers-in-bologna-castenaso.jpg

Well done Infinitum:biggrin:

The Bologna Two Towers?

The Teatro Comunale di Bologna is an opera house in Bologna, Italy, and is one of the most important opera venues in Italy. Typically, it presents eight operas with six performances during its November to April season.

While there had been various theatres presenting opera in Bologna since the early 17th century, they had either fallen into disuse or burnt down. However, from the early 18th century, the Teatro Marsigli-Rossi had been presenting operatic works by popular composers of the day including Vivaldi, Gluck, and Niccolò Piccinni. The Teatro Malvezzi, built in 1651, burned down in February 1745 and this event prompted the construction of a new public theatre, theNuovo Teatro Pubblico, as the Teatro Comunale was first called when it opened on 14 May 1763.

Yay! :biggrin:

I read about this recently, and although quite easy, I felt compelled to use it. So here is the next one:

Located on an island, nearly an hour away from the burning lake contained by three of its big brothers, it lies, relatively calm.
These represented the traumatic home of a great evil, the destination of two peace-loving adventurers, and the place of birth and death of a prized possession.

Find "it".

Last edited:
Well i am stumped all ready:nb)the only burning lake i can find is in Butan?

While that lake in Bhutan is actually called the Burning Lake, it is a land locked country. Also, "burning lake" is not literally the name of the lake in the riddle, but instead is an adjective that suits its type/surroundings.

As an aside, a famous story describes that Bhutan's Burning Lake was named that because a lamp did not stop burning even after Terton Pema Lingpa, a treasure seeker, dived into the lake with it, to successfully find the hidden Buddhist relics and artifacts.