All Genius' are Welcome

In summary, you are given a searchlight located at point A, which is 40 feet from a wall. The strength of the light L is inversely proportional to the square of the distance d from A. At any point on the wall, the light L is 10,000 lumens. However, the strength of the light is changing in an instantaneous manner, and at the closest point P, the light L is only 200,000 lumens.
zaboda42
Simple yet challenging calc problem - please help!

http://img252.imageshack.us/i/en8t.jpg/

a searchlight is located at point A 40 feet from a wall. The searchlight revolves counterclockwise at a rate of π/30 radians per second. At any point B on the
wall, the strength of the light L, is inversely proportional to the square of the distance d from A; that is, at any point on the wall L = k/d^2 . At the closest point P, L = 10,000 lumens.

a) Find the constant of proportionality k.
b) Express L as a function of θ , the angle formed by AP and AB.
c) How fast (in lumens/second) is the strength of the light changing when θ =π/4? Is it
increasing or decreasing? Justify your answer.
d) Find the value of θ between θ =0 and θ =π/2 after which L<1000 lumens.

I was only able to do part a) the other parts are rather confusing. If anyone could help that would be greatly appreciated.
My Attempt:

a) (40)^2 + (10,000)^2 = d^2
d = 10,000

L = k/d^2
10,000 = k/(10,000)^2
k = 1E12

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
b)

L = [.5(40 x 10,000)] x sin(theta)
L = 200,000 x sin(theta)

I'm sorry, I'm really confused and just need guidance to know if I'm doing this problem right, or if I'm completely wrong.

d)

999.999 =< 200,000 x sin(theta)
theta =< 0.005

I have a feeling I'm doing this terribly wrong =/

For A, you are given three unknowns (one of which is a constant) and the values for the two variables (what is the distance between point A and point P?). I'm sure that you can figure A out from there.

For B, what's the relationship between d and theta?

For C, think instantaneous rate of change.

For D, how what would you do if you were asked to find of x for y = 2x so that every value of x after that produced a y value that's greater than 10?

My answers are below in a spoiler so that you can check yours.
a) L(d) = k/d2
L(40) = 10000
10000 = k/402
16000000 (1.6 x 107) = k

b) cos(θ) = A/H = 40/d
d = 40/cos(θ)

L(θ) = k/(40/cos(θ))2 = 10000cos2(θ)

c) L(θ) = 10000cos2(θ)
dL/dθ = 10000•2•cos(θ)•-sin(θ) = -20000cos(θ)sin(θ)
when θ = π/4 --> dL/dθ = -20000cos(π/4)sin(π/4) = -10000
Since the derivative is negative, L is decreasing when θ = π/4

d) L(θ) = 1000
1000 = 10000cos2(θ)
1/10 = cos2(θ)
1/[tex]\sqrt{10}[/tex] = cos(θ)
cos-1(1/[tex]\sqrt{10}[/tex]) = θ
which is about .398π

Last edited:
Thanks so much ƒ(x), i personally loved your "hints" in the beginning because they really helped me look at the problems differently rather than me just getting an answer.

Thanks again.

Welcome

What does the phrase "All Genius' are Welcome" mean?

The phrase "All Genius' are Welcome" means that anyone with intelligence, creativity, and unique ideas is encouraged and welcomed to participate and contribute in a certain project or community.

Who can join the "All Genius' are Welcome" community?

Anyone with a curious mind, a passion for learning, and a desire to share their ideas and expertise can join the "All Genius' are Welcome" community.

What types of projects are included in the "All Genius' are Welcome" community?

The "All Genius' are Welcome" community encompasses a wide range of projects, from scientific research and technological advancements to arts, literature, and social issues.

How does the "All Genius' are Welcome" community foster collaboration and innovation?

The "All Genius' are Welcome" community encourages open-mindedness, diversity of thought, and constructive criticism, creating an environment where individuals can learn from each other and build upon each other's ideas to come up with groundbreaking solutions.

What are some benefits of being a part of the "All Genius' are Welcome" community?

Being a part of the "All Genius' are Welcome" community allows individuals to expand their knowledge, network with like-minded individuals, and contribute to meaningful and impactful projects that have the potential to make a difference in the world.