1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

All in the family

1. Oct 27, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For the family of curves given by (x^2)/(a^2) + (y^2)/(b^2) = 1, find the family of curves that are orthogonal to these.

2. Relevant equations
    Here I will number my steps
    1. Differentiate
    2. opposite reciprocal
    3. integrate
    4. simplify

3. The attempt at a solution

1. dy/dx = -(xb^2)/(ya^2) this what I have for my derivative
    2. dy/dx = (ya^2)/(xb^2 ) flip and sign.
    3. After integration I have (1/a^2) lny = (1/b^2)lnx
    4. I just tried to simplify it

So from
    (1/a^2) lny = (1/b^2)lnx
    ln(y) = (a^2/b^2)ln(x)
    I just got ride of ln with e.
    y = x^(a^2/b^2) but I feel like I should have c in my equation immediately after integration. So rather
    just left as it was ?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2013 #2
    You're nearly there. The C arises during integration -- you should get ## log y = \frac{a^2}{b^2}logx + C.## When you exponentiate you get ##y = x^{ \frac{a^2}{b^2}} * e^C. ## Of course ##e^C## is just some constant.

One thing I would suggest is -- don't call 2 different things dy/dx. It's passable here because the problem is very simple. But if you had something more complex, and you discover on page 6 that you made an error on page 3, and then you can't figure out what dy/dx is supposed to be -- that is a mess. If in the equation for the orthogonal family you change the y to w, and write dw/dx ... then all is clear.

4. Oct 27, 2013 #3
    Good advice thx.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted