All innovators - HELP!

  • Thread starter Dr.Brain
  • Start date
  • #1
Dr.Brain
538
2
All innovators --- HELP!

I have to think of some drawing/painting resembling the TOPIC "NIX PERIPHERA" which means "No Boundaries"

"NIX PERIPHERA" is the theme for our annual cultural fest in my tech-skool , and I have to think of some innovatory ideas regarding the paintings that we can make resembling the topic , also please tell ideas about structures that we can make which resemble the given topic in a way (like a 6" tall structure of Bird with open wings---> resembling no boundaries...blah blah) ...

ANything scientific/cool/wierd , anything that you can think of ...anythinggg..

BJ
 

Answers and Replies

  • #2
zoobyshoe
6,551
1,287
An extreme closeup of Charles Manson's face would vividly illustrate the concept of "No Boundaries," I think.
 
  • #3
Townsend
221
0
zoobyshoe said:
An extreme closeup of Charles Manson's face would vividly illustrate the concept of "No Boundaries," I think.

That's brilliant, I never would have thought of that.
 
  • #4
Townsend
221
0
How about something to do with the tower of babel?
 
  • #5
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
4,611
35
[tex](-\infty,\infty)[/tex]
 
  • #6
mattmns
1,118
6
Math Is Hard said:
[tex](-\infty,\infty)[/tex]
pfff!


This is more like it [tex][-\infty, \infty ][/tex] :smile:
 
  • #7
Knavish
116
1
But that makes no sense. :tongue: Besides, it adds a boundary, which isn't what we want.
 
  • #8
mattmns
1,118
6
True, they both have boundaries, but at least mine includes infinity :tongue2:
 
Last edited:
  • #9
Townsend
221
0
mattmns said:
True, they both have boundaries, but at least mine includes infinity :tongue2:

Really? So what then is [tex] [-\infty, \infty ] - (-\infty,\infty) [/tex] = ?
 
  • #10
mattmns
1,118
6
I am not sure about the definition of infinity, but I would guess that the subtraction would be [tex]\{-\infty, \infty\}[/tex]
 
  • #11
Townsend
221
0
mattmns said:
I am not sure about the definition of infinity, but I would guess that the subtraction would be [tex]\{-\infty, \infty\}[/tex]

We are talking about two distinct sets... one set is a subset of the other set. If you take away all the elements of the subset what are we left with?

In other words...using brackets for your set does not seem to make any sense. At least not up to any of the math classes I have taken. :smile:
 
  • #12
mattmns
1,118
6
I am no math expert, but this is what I was thinking, I may have misunderstood you.

If we have a set that contains all the elements up to infinity and down to negative infinity, we have [tex]\{ x | -\infty < x < \infty \}[/tex] which is denoted by [tex] ( -\infty, \infty )[/tex]

If we then look at the set including infinty and negative infinity we have [tex]\{ x | -\infty \leq x \leq \infty \}[/tex] which is denoted by [tex] [ -\infty, \infty ] [/tex]

If we then subtract the latter set by the former (what I am guessing you meant by the - sign, set difference of the two sets), we will get a set with 2 elements: [tex] -\infty, \infty[/tex]
Which I wrote as the set: [tex] \{ -\infty, \infty \}[/tex]

Keep in mind I am no math expert, so I could easily be wrong.
 
Last edited:
  • #13
Townsend
221
0
mattmns said:
I am no math expert, but this is what I was thinking, I may have misunderstood you.

If we have a set that contains all the elements up to infinity and down to negative infinity, we have [tex]\{ x | -\infty < x < \infty \}[/tex] which is denoted by [tex] ( -\infty, \infty )[/tex]

If we then look at the set including infinty and negative infinity we have [tex]\{ x | -\infty \leq x \leq \infty \}[/tex] which is denoted by [tex] [ -\infty, \infty ] [/tex]

If we then subtract the latter set by the former (what I am guessing you meant by the - sign, set difference of the two sets), we will get a set with 2 elements: [tex] -\infty, \infty[/tex]

Keep in mind I am no math expert, so I could easily be wrong.


Well that's just it...infinity is not an element of the set but a symbol that means it just goes on and on...

For example [tex](- \infty,\infty)[/tex] could be written as the real number line. Where on that number line is infinity? It is nowhere on the line that I can think of...

So how could it be included in the set? Which makes writing infinity with the closed bracket kind of non-sense.

Do you see what I mean? :smile:
 
  • #14
mattmns
1,118
6
Ohh, you did not like my use of square brackets. Pff, math standards :smile: I was using it more of as a joke :smile:
 
  • #15
Townsend
221
0
mattmns said:
Ohh, you did not like my use of square brackets. Pff, math standards :smile: I was using it more of as a joke :smile:

I don't know if they're standards so much...more like conventions so people understand what is meant by symbols... :wink:
 
  • #16
Dr.Brain
538
2
ok I want more ideas.
 
  • #17
Townsend
221
0
Dr.Brain said:
ok I want more ideas.

Try concentrating harder then... :smile:
 
  • #18
JamesU
Gold Member
805
3
how about just plain [tex] \infty [/tex]?

or [tex] \overline{\infty} [/tex]
 

Suggested for: All innovators - HELP!

Replies
15
Views
302
Replies
73
Views
3K
  • Last Post
Replies
9
Views
1K
Replies
18
Views
852
Replies
12
Views
324
  • Last Post
Replies
13
Views
699
Replies
19
Views
528
Replies
1
Views
319
Replies
3
Views
385
  • Last Post
Replies
11
Views
1K
Top