Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

All innovators - HELP!

1. Sep 5, 2005 #1
    All innovators --- HELP!

I have to think of some drawing/painting resembling the TOPIC "NIX PERIPHERA" which means "No Boundaries"

"NIX PERIPHERA" is the theme for our annual cultural fest in my tech-skool , and I have to think of some innovatory ideas regarding the paintings that we can make resembling the topic , also please tell ideas about structures that we can make which resemble the given topic in a way (like a 6" tall structure of Bird with open wings---> resembling no boundaries....blah blah) ...

ANything scientific/cool/wierd , anything that you can think of ...anythinggg..

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2005 #2
    An extreme closeup of Charles Manson's face would vividly illustrate the concept of "No Boundaries," I think.
  4. Sep 5, 2005 #3
    That's brilliant, I never would have thought of that.
  5. Sep 5, 2005 #4
    How about something to do with the tower of babel?
  6. Sep 5, 2005 #5

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

7. Sep 5, 2005 #6

This is more like it [tex][-\infty, \infty ][/tex] :smile:
  8. Sep 5, 2005 #7
    But that makes no sense. :tongue: Besides, it adds a boundary, which isn't what we want.
  9. Sep 5, 2005 #8
    True, they both have boundaries, but at least mine includes infinity :tongue2:
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2005
  10. Sep 5, 2005 #9
    Really? So what then is [tex] [-\infty, \infty ] - (-\infty,\infty) [/tex] = ?
  11. Sep 5, 2005 #10
    I am not sure about the definition of infinity, but I would guess that the subtraction would be [tex]\{-\infty, \infty\}[/tex]
  12. Sep 5, 2005 #11
    We are talking about two distinct sets... one set is a subset of the other set. If you take away all the elements of the subset what are we left with?

In other words.....using brackets for your set does not seem to make any sense. At least not up to any of the math classes I have taken. :smile:
  13. Sep 5, 2005 #12
    I am no math expert, but this is what I was thinking, I may have misunderstood you.

If we have a set that contains all the elements up to infinity and down to negative infinity, we have [tex]\{ x | -\infty < x < \infty \}[/tex] which is denoted by [tex] ( -\infty, \infty )[/tex]

If we then look at the set including infinty and negative infinity we have [tex]\{ x | -\infty \leq x \leq \infty \}[/tex] which is denoted by [tex] [ -\infty, \infty ] [/tex]

If we then subtract the latter set by the former (what I am guessing you meant by the - sign, set difference of the two sets), we will get a set with 2 elements: [tex] -\infty, \infty[/tex]
    Which I wrote as the set: [tex] \{ -\infty, \infty \}[/tex]

Keep in mind I am no math expert, so I could easily be wrong.
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2005
  14. Sep 5, 2005 #13

Well that's just it....infinity is not an element of the set but a symbol that means it just goes on and on....

For example [tex](- \infty,\infty)[/tex] could be written as the real number line. Where on that number line is infinity? It is nowhere on the line that I can think of....

So how could it be included in the set? Which makes writing infinity with the closed bracket kind of non-sense.

Do you see what I mean? :smile:
  15. Sep 5, 2005 #14
    Ohh, you did not like my use of square brackets. Pff, math standards :smile: I was using it more of as a joke :smile:
  16. Sep 5, 2005 #15
    I don't know if they're standards so much...more like conventions so people understand what is meant by symbols...... :wink:
  17. Sep 5, 2005 #16
    ok I want more ideas.
  18. Sep 5, 2005 #17
    Try concentrating harder then.... :smile:
  19. Sep 5, 2005 #18

Gold Member

how about just plain [tex] \infty [/tex]?

or [tex] \overline{\infty} [/tex]
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?