1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Studying All math used in physics

1. Mar 5, 2016 #1
    I would like to know the types of math used in different aspects of physics, so that i know where to go from now on. Although i am planning to major in electrical engineering i will not fail to maintain physics as at the very least a hardcore hobby (and maybe double major in physics and ee). Here is what i have so far

Calculus: everything
    Linear Alg: any time you deal with lots of vectors: GR, QFT.
    Vector Calc: EM
    Diff Geometry: GR
    Tensors: GR, mechanics
    Abstract Algebra: vector spaces/orthgonality etc for gr
    Group Theory: QFT,
    Knot Theory: Superstring Theory

feel free to add more, pure math is welcome as long as the benefits and applications are specified.
    I am currently in high school and trying to plan out what to learn and when (i am an avid self studier), so any additions are highly appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2016 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You're missing probability and statistics and combinatorics. These techniques find use throughout physics and engineering to describe random processes or behavior of complex systems over the long and short terms.

4. Mar 5, 2016 #3

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

See overview:
    http://ls.poly.edu/~jbain/Cat/lectures/01.BranchesofMath.pdf [Broken]
    ... try again. ;)

You may be better served to look ahead at the math courses and physucs courses and rank the courses in order of importance to what you want to do.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted