Do particles have discrete energy levels?

In summary, discrete energy levels exist on a continuum due to the finite number of allowed energy levels.
Dammes
Im wondering if all matter have discrete energy levels because electron and nuclei have discrete energy level. my thought is that as mass increases the separation of the energy levels decease, so because mass is so large at our scale the separation of energy levels is so infinitely small and see it as a continuous scale?
Tell me if my way of thinking is completely wrong, its just a thought.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you never heard of the conduction and valence bands of metals, semiconductors, and insulators? There are no "discrete" energy levels there.

Zz.

@ZapperZ
Of course there are - the conduction band of a metal in the usual treatment comes about from a potential well with periodic b.c.s, with discrete spacing. That's why you can have a density of states - if the levels were truly continuous, you could cram as many electrons as you want into any small energy interval. Without a finite number of states below a certain energy, things like a fermi sphere could not exist.

We can treat the levels as quasi-continuous just because there are so many of them and because they are so close to each other that the distance between two adjacent levels is extremely small.

@ZapperZ
No i have not heard of the conduction and valence bands of metals, semiconductors, and insulators.
This is only a thought and was asking if my way of thinking is completely wrong and if I should neglect this thought.

So I'll ask this again. should I neglect this thought or is there some truth behind it?

Dammes said:
@ZapperZ
No i have not heard of the conduction and valence bands of metals, semiconductors, and insulators.
This is only a thought and was asking if my way of thinking is completely wrong and if I should neglect this thought.

So I'll ask this again. should I neglect this thought or is there some truth behind it?

There is probably a grain of truth to any statement. You would be well served to learn more from existing theory, as ZapperZ suggests, before you randomly speculate with non-specific conjecture.

Theory and experiment go hand in hand, there is plenty written on the rules about electron orbitals in an atom. Check out those. :smile:

Wikipedia has a decent, short explanation:

..Quantized energy levels result from the relation between a particle's energy and its wavelength. For a confined particle such as an electron in an atom, the wave function has the form of standing waves. Only stationary states with energies corresponding to integral numbers of wavelengths can exist; for other states the waves interfere destructively, resulting in zero probability density.

One basic distinction between discrete quantum theory and continuous relativity is the 'quantum of action' or Planck's constant, h, a cornerstone of quantum theory, that pops up in many situations...but not in relativity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planck_constant

Last edited:
should I neglect this thought or is there some truth behind it?

it's ok as a start...as stuff gets bigger and bigger the relative size of 'discrete' interactions generally loses significance. A next step to think about energy levels is along these lines:

A truly free electron has an interaction potential that is not spatially localized, so there is a continuous spectrum of states; that means the electron can interact with photons of any energy. There is no "h" involved. Such an idealized free particle can have continuous energy transitions.

In the real world there are no completely "free" particles; every particle interacts with something, so there are always some degrees of freedom present beyond the "free particle" ones. An electron bound in an atom has a spatially confined interaction potential, so its spectrum of states is discrete; that means the electron can only interact with photons that have the right energy to kick it from one of the discrete states to another..."h" is important.

A decent analogy: consider a vibrating violin string...certain frequencies resonate...these are like 'standing waves' of electrons in the Wikipedia description I gave in the prior post. Remove the fixed ends and tension...the darn string won't vibrate! In fact this analogy works ok for string theory, too, where 'particles' are extended two dimensional 'strings'...and increased tension correlates with increased particle mass.

1. What does it mean that all matter has energy levels?

All matter, whether it is a solid, liquid, or gas, is made up of tiny particles called atoms. These atoms contain energy, which is distributed among different energy levels. This means that the particles within matter are constantly moving and vibrating, and the amount of energy they possess is determined by their specific energy level.

2. How are energy levels in matter determined?

The energy levels in matter are determined by the arrangement of electrons within an atom. Electrons are negatively charged particles that orbit around the nucleus of an atom. Each electron has a specific amount of energy, and the number of electrons in each energy level increases as the energy level gets farther from the nucleus.

3. What is the significance of energy levels in matter?

The energy levels within matter play a crucial role in determining the physical and chemical properties of a substance. The specific arrangement of electrons in an atom and their energy levels determine how atoms bond with each other, which ultimately affects the behavior and characteristics of matter.

4. Can energy levels in matter change?

Yes, energy levels within matter can change. For example, when atoms absorb or release energy, the energy levels of their electrons can change. This can happen through processes like heating, cooling, or chemical reactions.

5. What is the relationship between energy levels and temperature?

Energy levels and temperature are closely related. As the temperature of matter increases, the particles within it gain more energy and their energy levels increase. This causes the particles to move faster and can lead to changes in the physical state of matter, such as melting or boiling.