Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

All men created equal

1. Jun 20, 2006 #1
    When Jefferson wrote the words... we hold these truths to be self evident, that all men are created equal...what did he mean ?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2006 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

He meant that all propertied, white males were created equal.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2006
  4. Jun 21, 2006 #3
    what about blacks

5. Jun 21, 2006 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

That penguins are being descriminated against.

Actually what was the story behind that? Didn't they want to say "white men" originally?

6. Jun 21, 2006 #5

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Well, they were slaves, so they could hardly count as men, could they?

7. Jun 21, 2006 #6

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I don't think Jefferson restricted himself to propertied males; he did value the poor and craftsmen. For this he was pilloried as a jacobin radical by people like Hamilton and Adams.

Of course Jefferson's views on women, blacks, and indians wouldn't pass muster today, but insofar as white men were concerned he was a democrat.

8. Jun 21, 2006 #7

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

He meant that each had an equally inalienable right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

9. Jun 21, 2006 #8
    In other words, human rights are an absolute (self-evidently so) granted by creator equally to all men, e.g., morality is an absolute -- this is the ethical position of Jefferson ?

10. Jun 21, 2006 #9

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Yup. His creator was more of a deist's idea of the Architect of Creation than the Christian god. Jefferson was not a christian. Although he was a vestryman at his local church! But that was not at all unusual in those days.

11. Jun 22, 2006 #10

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Not really, since you needed property qualifications in order to have the right to vote and/or hold offices.

In this, of course, Jefferson was holding the same view as just about any other progressive, democratically minded person of his time. (Immanuel Kant, for example, had the same view).

It should be said in their defense that most democrats wanted the property qualification not as much out of a desire to keep the common people down; rather, what they first and foremost wanted to avoid was that some aristocrat with a large following of dependants could overthrow the democratic government.

12. Jun 22, 2006 #11
    it just means all men should be considered equal, and not discriminated

of course all men aren't truly born equal, not to the same class, intelligence, physical considition, etc.

yes you can argue the semantics of the word "man" but understand up until very recently "man" was an asexual term referring to both genders

also the hypocrisy of slavery was acknowledged very early on, the abolitionist movement was quite healthy even back then. But that's a whole other complicated issue.

13. Dec 16, 2006 #12

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Is it rather odd that you would include 'class' in that list, as that's the very kind of discrimination that the phrase was targeting.

14. Dec 16, 2006 #13
    Blue blood

Jefferson meant that all men were created with red blood. Nature did not create anyone with 'blue blood'. The Creater did not create anyone with natural superiority such as the aristocracy, or give anyone the divine right to be King.

15. Dec 27, 2006 #14
    is it
    i dont believe that
    even though we should give everyone a fair chance and have human rights and all
    but i still dont believe all men are equal
    i aint no hitler or anything but thats what i learn from nature

16. Dec 28, 2006 #15

DaveC426913

Gold Member

You take your marching orders from nature then? An animal, hm?

Humankind's ability to make moral judgements and act appropriately is the very thing that separates us from the beasts.

17. Dec 28, 2006 #16
    no no i dont think you understood what i meant to say
    i was saying that all human beings arent equal
    thats just my opinion
    fine everyone being given equal oppurtunities and everything but not all men are equal

18. Dec 28, 2006 #17

DaveC426913

Gold Member

You do realize that the sayting is actually "all men are created equal"?

The point is that you do not come into this world with strikes against you (such as being lower class or a blue-blood or a slave).

19. Dec 30, 2006 #18
    All men 'created' equal does not necessarily mean they, then, remain equal or must remain equal. Things change.

20. Dec 31, 2006 #19

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Yes. I whole point is that we are judged on the things we CAN change and whether we DO or not, not on the things we CAN'T change.

Things we can't change are beyond judgement when assessing the merits of a person.

21. Dec 31, 2006 #20
    its not that all people are \either born as slaves or high class and all
    its just that some are born with more intellect and better genes and some not

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?