1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

All my Calculus Troubles

1. Jun 20, 2005 #1
    Well, seeing as I will be working on calculus for a long time, and I figure at the rate I've been going I'll get stuck a lot and need help, I'll just make one thread for all my calculus troubles.

I just read the chapter on Tangent Lines and Slopes. I did a problem, double-checked the math, then turned to the back of the book and found out the answer was completely incorrect. I retraced again, and found no problem, but the book is a bit confusing so I might have missed something.

The problem reads: Find a formula that gives the slope at any point P (x,y) on the given curve. [itex]y=4-x^2[/itex] [itex]P:(1,-1)[/itex]

My work is as follows:

1)I begin by making a secant line from point P to a point Q, which I arbitrarily place. The coordinates are [itex]Q:(-1+\Delta x, 4-(-1+\Delta x)^2[/itex]

2)To find my slope: [tex]\frac{\Delta y}{\Delta x} = \frac{4-(-1+\Delta x)^2}{\Delta x}[/tex]

3)This becomes: [tex]\frac{4-1+2\Delta x-\Delta x^2}{\Delta x}[/tex]

4)Finally, I get [itex]5-\Delta x=m[/itex] Getting rid of the [itex]\Delta x[/itex] my slope is [itex]m=5[/itex]

The back of the book says the answer is -2x.

What happened?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2005 #2
    I'm new here, but I might be able to help.

Since you read the section on tangent lines, did you read about:

[tex]f'(x)=\lim_{h\to 0}\frac{f(x+h)-f(x)}{h}[/tex]?

Try using this formula on your original equation [tex]f(x)=4-x^2[/tex] and that will give you the tangent line at any point.
  4. Jun 20, 2005 #3
    The section on limits and derivatives comes right after this one.
  5. Jun 20, 2005 #4

Homework Helper

Hmmm, I don't understand what you are doing here...
    P(1, -1) is not on the curve.
    Let [itex]P(\varepsilon, 4 - \varepsilon ^ 2)[/itex]be a point on a curve.
    Let [itex]Q(\varepsilon + \Delta x, 4 - (\varepsilon + \Delta x)^ 2)[/itex]be another point on a curve.
    You have as [itex]\Delta x \rightarrow 0 => Q \rightarrow P[/itex]
    Can you find [tex]\frac{Q_y - P_y}{Q_x - P_x}[/tex] as [tex]\Delta x \rightarrow 0[/tex]?
    Er, I think limits should be learn before tangent line.
    Viet Dao,
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2005
  6. Jun 20, 2005 #5
    Should I skip past this chapter for now, learn limits, and then return to it?

You mentioned P(1,-1) is not on the curve — and you're right. It's (-1,3). The math I did uses (-1,3) though, I just mistyped it here.

Can you make that itexed slope formulation tex-ed? It's too small, can't read it.

Should I substitute 0 for [tex]\Delta x[/tex]?
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2005
  7. Jun 20, 2005 #6
    i dont know how far along you are, but all you need to do is find the derivative of the given function:

[tex]y=4-x^2[/tex] the derivative of this is -2x.

the derivative of a function is the slope of the tangent line at a certain point.
    for the point (1,1) the equation of the tangent line is :

[tex]y-1=-2(x-1)[/tex] :surprised
  8. Jun 20, 2005 #7

Homework Helper

I think the OP is just beginning with calculus and is not allowed to "just differentiate".

So, going back to first principles, the slope of a tangent to a curve at a point is defined by [tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = \lim_{\Delta x \rightarrow 0} \frac{\Delta y}{\Delta x}[/tex]

We have [tex]y = 4 - x^2[/tex]. ---eqn(1)

[tex]y + \Delta y = 4 - (x + \Delta x)^2 = 4 - x^2 - 2x\Delta x - (\Delta x)^2[/tex] ---eqn(2)

using the binomial expansion.

Take eqn(2) - eqn(1),

we have [tex]\Delta y = -2x\Delta x - (\Delta x)^2[/tex]

Divide that by [tex]\Delta x[/tex],

[tex]\frac{\Delta y}{\Delta x} = -2x - \Delta x[/tex]

And taking the limit as [tex]\Delta x[/tex] goes to zero, we have :

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = -2x[/tex]

as we would expect. This is the equation that gives the slope of the tangent to the curve at any point (x,y)

If you want the equation of a line that has that slope and that passes through the point (1, -1), the equation of that line is simply,

[tex]y - (-1) = -2X(x - 1)[/tex]

or [tex]y = -(2X)x + 2X - 1[/tex]

Note that that line will NOT actually be a tangent to any point on the curve, it will only be parallel to the tangent to the curve at the chosen point [itex](X,Y)[/itex].

If you want the equation of the actual tangent line to the curve at a point [itex](X,Y)[/itex], then it would be given by

[tex]y - Y = -2X(x - X)[/tex]

[tex]y - (4 - X^2) = -2X(x - X)[/tex]

which rearranges to

[tex]y = -(2X)x + X^2 + 4[/tex]
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2005
  9. Jun 20, 2005 #8
    It seems as if you are all suggesting that I use derivatives and/or limits. I believe I will skip this chapter, learn how to do limits and derivatives, and then return to it at a later time. Wish me luck with derivatives and limits. I will need it.
  10. Jun 21, 2005 #9
    choose an arbitrary x
    then the point P = (x, 4 - x^2) is on the curve
    now move to another x a short distance Δx away: x + Δx
    then the point Q = (x + Δx, 4 - (x + Δx)^2 ) is also on the curve
    the slope of the line connecting P and Q is:

[tex] \mbox{slope \overline{PQ} } \ = \ \frac {\mbox{ (y value of Q) } \ - \ \mbox{ (y value of P) } } {\mbox{ (x value of Q) } \ - \ \mbox{ (x value of P) } } \ = \ \displaystyle \frac { ( 4 - (x + \Delta x)^2) \ - \ ( 4 - x^2 ) } { (x + \Delta x) \ - \ (x)} \ = \ \displaystyle \frac { - 2x\Delta x \ - \ (\Delta x)^2 } { \Delta x} \ = \ -2x \, - \, \Delta x [/tex]

now what happens to Δx when point P approaches point Q?
    if you answered that Δx → 0, then what is the slope of the tangent to the curve?
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?