Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

All open maps homeomorphisms?

1. Oct 5, 2013 #1
    I was told to prove that

f: X -> Y is a homeomorphism iff it is an open map

While I see that if f is a homeomorphism, it is certainly an open map, but is the implication in the other direction even true? Because I see no reason to believe it is.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2013 #2

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

That is false. I suspect they meant a bijective continuous map ##f## is a homeomorphism iff it is open iff it is closed.

4. Oct 5, 2013 #3
    I think it should be "A bijective, continuous map ##f:X\to Y## is a homeomorphism iff it is an open map."

For fun, prove "A bijective, continuous map ##f:X\to Y## is a homeomorphism iff it is a closed map." :tongue:

Edit: WN got there first. Why you type so fast? :rofl:

5. Oct 5, 2013 #4

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

this false without some hypotheses. if X is an open subset of Y, the inclusion map is open but not a homeomorphism.

if f is projection of the plane X onto the y - axis Y, this map is open but not a homeomorphism.

If X and Y are the same set equipped with different topologies so that Y has more open sets than X, then the identity map is open but not a homeomorphism.

etc.....

6. Oct 5, 2013 #5

lavinia

Science Advisor

take a look at the open mapping theorem for complex analysis.

Let X be any space and Y a point. Map X to Y.

7. Oct 5, 2013 #6
    Oh, ok. But isn't that kind of trivial? If it is an open map then that is exactly the same (from what I can see) as saying that f-inverse is continuous. So basically that means I'm asked to show that f is a homeomorphism if f is continuous, f-inverse is continuous, and f is a bijection, but that's just what a homeomorphism is.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook