Build a Pump Using Wind Generator Design

• Thread starter quantoshake11
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pump
In summary, the person is inspired by a wind generator design to create a pump using a turbine and coils. They ask for advice and the response is that it would essentially just be an inefficient fan. The person also mentions plans to use it for a hydroponic system and that it can potentially work without water.
quantoshake11
hi, I've been inspired by this wind generator design: http://www.instructables.com/id/Pringles-Wind-Turbine-Pleech---Version-One/
to make it operate in reverse, that is, feed alternating current and make the thing spin.
The purpose of this is to make a pump by putting a wheel (similar to those seen in airplane turbines) inside a tube, and fixing the coils outside of the tube. The weel would have magnets attached at the rim (like the one in the generator). Do you think that it would work? would i need to synchronize the current so the wheel won't jam? what advices can you give me?

Engineering news on Phys.org
You would basically just be making a very inefficient fan. You could do it, but I don't know why you would.

It's a very inefficient generator that steals energy from your air conditioner fan.

hi, i still got to get my hands dirty and i can't find the time or motivation to get going (and i don't want to spend the money in buying materials unless I'm 100% sure I'm going to go through the whole way). The end product i have in mind would be a tube section with a fan at the middle, and the wires outside, so with the proper fan i could have a way to pump water through the tube. My first idea was to use it in a hydroponic system, but if the fan is made properly i see no reason why it would be limited to water.. I've heard that most water pumps should not be operated without water, but this one should work either way.

russ_watters said:
It's a very inefficient generator that steals energy from your air conditioner fan.

you can always put it beneath somebody else's air conditioner :D

1. How does a wind generator pump work?

A wind generator pump uses the power of wind to turn the blades of a wind turbine, which in turn rotates a pump to draw water from a well or other water source. The pump then sends the water to a storage tank or directly to where it is needed.

2. What materials are needed to build a wind generator pump?

The materials needed vary depending on the design, but common components include a wind turbine, a pump, pipes or hoses, a tower or support structure, and wires or cables to connect the components. Some designs also use batteries for energy storage.

3. What type of wind conditions are necessary for a wind generator pump to work?

While the specific wind conditions may vary depending on the design and location, generally a wind speed of at least 5-6 miles per hour is needed for a wind generator pump to operate efficiently. Higher wind speeds can produce more power and thus pump more water.

4. Can a wind generator pump be used in any location?

Wind generator pumps can be used in many locations, but the feasibility and effectiveness may vary depending on factors such as wind speed and availability of water sources. They may be more suitable for rural or remote areas where traditional electricity or water supply may not be readily available.

5. How do I maintain and troubleshoot a wind generator pump?

Regular maintenance and upkeep, such as cleaning the blades and checking for any damage or wear, is important to ensure the pump continues to operate effectively. Troubleshooting may involve checking the wiring, connections, and other components for any issues, and making necessary repairs or replacements. It is recommended to consult the specific instructions and guidelines for maintenance and troubleshooting for the particular wind generator pump design being used.