Stop Judging: Breaking the Stigma of Asking Questions | Our Thoughts

• Thread starter timejim
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stupid
In summary: What's "irony"? :biggrin:I think it's like rain on your wedding day, a black fly in your Chardonnay, or the good advice that you just can't take.
timejim
Let's face it, if you have to ask a question then that means you don't know the answer, right? So you must be stupid, right? Right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Irony at its best!

Whats the meaning of life?

Does that make everybody stupid?

It was absolutely marvelous working for Wolfgang Pauli. You could ask him anything. There was no worry that he would think a particular question was stupid, since he thought all questions were stupid.
Victor Weisskopf

Mind you, I've found that answering homework type questions on PF, I often find myself beginning with something like "I assume the question is really.." . So asking questions when you don't know the answer is perfectly reasonable, but if you don't even know the question...? :grumpy:

First there are no stupid questions! :biggrin: I'm still picking up things as I go along.

timejim said:
Let's face it, if you have to ask a question then that means you don't know the answer, right? So you must be stupid, right? Right?
I don't think so and I also think so.

I think making questions for the only purpose of testing people's knowledge is what I don't really like. I think you may think the same way..or feel the same. ---> Bad ! Ready to fight !
But making questions whose answers you already knew and that you are looking for their possible "optimization strategies" ---> Good ! Ready to share if I know :redface:!

By the way, I also really hate monkeys which don't know how to answer the problems or are actually slow (serious lack of g-matter in their brain) but always wait till things are completely over, then raise their voice beetching to show off their actual stupidity.

I guess that is a big and important transformation of monkey's face to donkey 's face.
Hey, am I correct ?

Last edited:
No, it doesn't mean that I am stupid!

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people. :confused:

timejim said:

Is that a question?

Is that a question?

Chi, Hurkyl beat you to the chase with his comment:

Irony at its best!

What about this then?

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. -Socrates

Chrono said:
What about this then?
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. -Socrates
Better still, Wisdom is knowing that you do not know everything and what you must learn.

The Bob (2004 ©)

Hurkyl said:
Irony at its best!
What's "irony"? :biggrin:

Gza said:
Chi, Hurkyl beat you to the chase with his comment:

I know that, I was, uh, being, you know, ironic.
russ_watters said:
What's "irony"?

"I can't define irony, but I know it when I see it!"
(What movie?)

russ_watters said:
Ironic I think is what Hurkyl meant.

The Bob (2004 ©)

Funny, I looked at the first post, and thought exactly the same thing as Hurkyl... curse not being here!

Irony is a bit like goldy and steely for the unenlightened.

jimmy p said:
Funny, I looked at the first post, and thought exactly the same thing as Hurkyl... curse not being here!

Irony is a bit like goldy and steely for the unenlightened.

Goldy Hawn and Steely Dan?

Chi Meson said:
Goldy Hawn and Steely Dan?

Very similar, but not quite. There are subtle differences between the three.

russ_watters said:

I think it's like rain on your wedding day, a black fly in your Chardonnay, or the good advice that you just can't take.

Actually, I think only one out of three of those things might truly be ironic.

1. What is the stigma of asking questions?

The stigma of asking questions is the negative perception or judgment that can be placed on individuals who ask questions, particularly in academic or professional settings. This stigma can make people feel embarrassed or afraid to ask questions, leading to a lack of understanding and hindering the learning process.

2. Why is it important to break the stigma of asking questions?

Breaking the stigma of asking questions is important because it promotes a healthy learning and working environment. When people are not afraid to ask questions, they are more likely to understand and retain information. It also encourages critical thinking and opens up opportunities for discussion and collaboration.

3. How can we stop judging others for asking questions?

We can stop judging others for asking questions by being open-minded and understanding that everyone has different levels of knowledge and understanding. Instead of assuming someone should already know something, we can encourage and support their curiosity by providing helpful and respectful responses to their questions.

4. What are some strategies for creating a safe space for asking questions?

Some strategies for creating a safe space for asking questions include setting ground rules for respectful communication, encouraging active listening and open dialogue, and emphasizing the importance of asking questions as a valuable learning tool. It is also important to model non-judgmental behavior and create a supportive and inclusive environment for all individuals.

5. How can we teach children to break the stigma of asking questions?

We can teach children to break the stigma of asking questions by promoting a positive attitude towards curiosity and learning. This can be done by encouraging questions, providing safe spaces for children to ask questions, and emphasizing that it is okay to not know everything. We can also model non-judgmental behavior and teach children to be respectful and supportive of others when they ask questions.