All this superconductor business

In summary: This site helped me a lot to understand how currents actually arise in a superconductor, and how it is possible to apply a voltage across them.
Crumbles
I am new to superconductors and how they work. :confused:

Could anybody maybe explain how currents actually arise in a superconductor? Is it just by placing the superconductor in a B-field that causes a current due to the expulsion of the external field (Messiner Effect)?

If so, is that the only way of getting a current to pass through a superconductor? What would happen if you actually applied a voltage across the superconductor?

And what is with the Type 2 superconductors? :eek: From what I have been reading, they do not fully undergo the Messiner effect but repell exernal fields while still having some lines of field inside which are called vortices. Is that correct? Why does this actually happen? :confused:

-Crumbles- :rolleyes:

Physics news on Phys.org
Crumbles said:
I am new to superconductors and how they work. :confused:

Could anybody maybe explain how currents actually arise in a superconductor? Is it just by placing the superconductor in a B-field that causes a current due to the expulsion of the external field (Messiner Effect)?

If so, is that the only way of getting a current to pass through a superconductor? What would happen if you actually applied a voltage across the superconductor?

And what is with the Type 2 superconductors? :eek: From what I have been reading, they do not fully undergo the Messiner effect but repell exernal fields while still having some lines of field inside which are called vortices. Is that correct? Why does this actually happen? :confused:

-Crumbles- :rolleyes:

http://www.ornl.gov/info/reports/m/ornlm3063r1/preface.html

You may also want to do a search on messages already posted on this forum. There have been tons of stuff already discussed on this topic.

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for that link ZapperZ. Things sort of make a bit more sense now. :smile:

http://superconductors.org

Best site for superconductors. Superconductors are one of the fields I'm serious about possibly studying when I go to college so I try to learn as much as possible about them. I've been reading about them for quite awhile, but I still have trouble visualizing cooper pairs in my head.

What is a superconductor?

A superconductor is a material that has the ability to conduct electricity with zero resistance at temperatures close to absolute zero.

How does superconductivity occur?

Superconductivity occurs when electrons pair up and move through the material without any resistance. This is due to the formation of Cooper pairs, which are made up of two electrons with opposite spins.

What are the practical applications of superconductors?

Superconductors have a wide range of practical applications, including in MRI machines, particle accelerators, and power transmission lines. They can also be used to create powerful electromagnets for levitating trains and other transportation systems.

What are the challenges in using superconductors?

The main challenge in using superconductors is the need to maintain extremely low temperatures, usually below -200 degrees Celsius. This requires expensive and complex cooling systems. Additionally, superconductors are often brittle and can be difficult to manufacture in large quantities.

Are there any superconductors that work at room temperature?

Currently, there are no superconductors that work at room temperature. However, researchers are constantly working to find new materials and methods to achieve superconductivity at higher temperatures, which would make them more practical for everyday use.