All you ever wanted to ask about QBism

• A
  • Thread starter Demystifier
  • Start date
In summary, arXiv blocked Ruđer Bošković Institute in Croatia because it looked as if someone from the institute attacked arXiv. Now the institute is unblocked.
Physics news on Phys.org
DrClaude said:
For some reason, that link doesn't work for me (security issue). Alternative: http://www.arxiv.org/abs/1810.13401
Until recently, everybody at my institution (Ruđer Bošković Institute in Croatia) had problems with arXiv due to security reasons. Eventually someone from my institution asked arXiv administrators what is going on, and it turned out that arXiv blocked our institution because it looked as if someone from our institution attacked arXiv. Now we are unblocked. Perhaps something similar is going on in your case.

For those who are interested in QBism, a recent text by N. David Mermin might be of interest, too: N. David Mermin, "Making Better Sense of Quantum Mechanics" (https://arxiv.org/abs/1809.01639)

He writes, for example:

"Science starts with mind, the private library of experience for each of us. From the contents of our own experience each of us strives to assemble what that experience means about the world that gives rise to it. An all too common misreading of QBism in the popular scientific press is “It’s all mind”. This is as wrong as the opinion most physicists have about physics, that it’s all world. There is mind and there is a world. Quantum mechanics has taught us that we cannot understand what we are talking about without paying attention to both. What links the contents of my mind to the world that induces them is the meaning I construct for my experience."

Likes Demystifier
David Mermin said:
There is mind and there is a world. Quantum mechanics has taught us that we cannot understand what we are talking about without paying attention to both.
If that is the message of quantum mechanics, then why can't we see that message already in the macroscopic classical world? Why the importance of the mind is seen only in the microscopic world? QBism doesn't seem to have an answer to that question, which is my main problem with QBism.

Likes SteveF
Demystifier said:
Until recently, everybody at my institution (Ruđer Bošković Institute in Croatia) had problems with arXiv due to security reasons. Eventually someone from my institution asked arXiv administrators what is going on, and it turned out that arXiv blocked our institution because it looked as if someone from our institution attacked arXiv. Now we are unblocked. Perhaps something similar is going on in your case.
It appears to be a different problem. Something about a certificate from lanl not being recognised. It works fine using www instead of lanl at the start of the address.

1. What is QBism?

QBism (Quantum Bayesianism) is a philosophical interpretation of quantum mechanics that views quantum states as subjective beliefs or probabilities rather than objective descriptions of reality. It emphasizes the role of the observer in the measurement process and rejects the notion of a single, objective reality.

2. How does QBism differ from other interpretations of quantum mechanics?

QBism differs from other interpretations, such as the Copenhagen interpretation, in that it places a greater emphasis on the role of the observer and their personal beliefs and experiences. It also rejects the idea of wavefunction collapse and instead sees quantum states as continuously evolving probabilities.

3. What is the significance of QBism in the field of quantum mechanics?

QBism offers a new perspective on the interpretation of quantum mechanics and has sparked ongoing discussions and debates among scientists and philosophers. It also has potential implications for fields such as quantum computing and information theory.

4. Are there any criticisms of QBism?

Some scientists and philosophers have criticized QBism for being too subjective and placing too much emphasis on the role of the observer. Others argue that it does not provide any new insights or predictions about quantum mechanics.

5. How is QBism currently being studied and applied in research?

QBism is an ongoing topic of research and discussion in the fields of quantum mechanics, philosophy, and cognitive science. It has also been applied in practical areas such as quantum information processing and decision theory.