Allowable Signal Swing in BJT?

In summary, the conversation discusses a concept related to circuits and the values of V(cc), V(ee), V(c), V(e), V(b), I(c), and I(e). The allowable signal swing, B=100, is mentioned to be +8 V and -3.4 V. The speaker is unsure about the -3.4 V value and asks for clarification on what the book is asking for. They also mention calculating the input peak to peak current and voltage using the given data.
Peon666
I'm utterly confused about this concept and the textbook quite efficiently confuses me further. I'll just try to explain it with an example:

The circuit has a V(cc) = 10 V and V(ee) = -10 V. V(c) = 2 V, V(e) = -1.7 V, V(b) = -1 V, I(c) = 1 mA, I(e) = 1 mA.

It says that allowable signal swing or B=100 is +8 V, -3.4 V.

How's that? I can't figure.

Engineering news on Phys.org
If this is a homework problem, it should go there. What is the book asking for, the input peak to peak input voltage?

The only thing I don't understand is what is the -3.4 V. B = 100 is probably referring to the beta or current gain of the transistor. The 8 V seems like a reasonable value for the output signal voltage swing. From the other data given it is possible to calculate the input peak to peak current and peak to peak voltage.

What exactly is confusing you?

What is the allowable signal swing in BJT?

The allowable signal swing in BJT, or bipolar junction transistor, refers to the maximum range of voltage that can be applied to the base-emitter junction before the transistor reaches its saturation or cut-off point.

Why is it important to consider the allowable signal swing in BJT?

It is important to consider the allowable signal swing in BJT because exceeding this limit can cause the transistor to operate outside of its intended range, resulting in distortion and potential damage to the device.

What factors affect the allowable signal swing in BJT?

The allowable signal swing in BJT is affected by several factors, including the transistor's operating temperature, biasing conditions, and the characteristics of the circuit it is being used in.

How can the allowable signal swing in BJT be determined?

The allowable signal swing in BJT can be determined through the use of datasheets provided by the manufacturer, which specify the maximum voltage ratings for the transistor. Additionally, it can be calculated using the transistor's current gain and other relevant parameters.

What are the consequences of exceeding the allowable signal swing in BJT?

If the allowable signal swing in BJT is exceeded, it can lead to distortion and potential damage to the transistor. This can result in incorrect operation of the circuit and may require replacement of the transistor.