1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Allowed EM waveforms

1. Apr 18, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    which of the following proposed space-time dependent electric fields in vacuum is/are allowed by the equations of EM theory?
    a) $$E_x=E_1\sin(kz-wt),E_y=E_2\sin(kz-wt),E_z=0$$
    b) $$E_x=E_1\sin(kz-wt),E_y=2E_1\cos(kz-wt),E_z=0$$
    c) $$E_x=E_1\sin(kz-wt),E_y=0,E_z=E_2\sin(kz-wt)$$

2. Relevant equations
    $$E = E_0\sin(kz-wt)$$

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think all the three equations are allowed according to the normal waveform. However I do not know what exactly to look for in such case that does not make it an allowed waveform. I would appreciate if someone could show an example that is not a waveform if my answer turns out to be correct.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2017 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello Rahulrj, :welcome:

What are
    ?

I'm afraid your relevant equation doesn't mean much in the context of this problem. Anyway: what are all those symbols referring to ? You write vectors and scalars the same way ?

4. Apr 18, 2017 #3
    I do not know how to identify the allowed wave form and 'the equations of EM theory' idea doesn't help me much since I do not know what I require to distinguish an allowed waveform. $$E_x E_y $$and$$E_z$$ are electric field components,that's how the question itself is given.

5. Apr 18, 2017 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The equations of EM theory are called the Maxwell equations, as I suspect you are supposed to know (from the fact you are given this exercise)...

6. Apr 18, 2017 #5
    I do know Maxwell equations but I am not sure how to make use of them to know the allowed waveform which is why I said that it doesn't help me much.

7. Apr 18, 2017 #6

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Do you now how to transform the maxwell equations into a wave equation ? Then you can check if the given ##\vec E## can satisfy such equations...

8. Apr 18, 2017 #7
    I don't think I understand that could please provide an example?
    $$\nabla.D = \rho$$
    How do i transform this?

9. Apr 19, 2017 #8

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In vacuum ##\rho = 0##...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted