Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Alma Mater Vanity Plates

1. Aug 8, 2005 #1
    I am curious as to your thoughts about people who post stickers on the back of their cars or change the license plate frame to announce to the world where they went to college. In some cases you can learn much of a stangers background as they have two or three and one specifies mba or JD or whatever. So is this practice overly pretentious or simply reasonable pride? Does it matter if it says Stanford or X State school when you see one in how you regard it? Personally when I see this I often lean more to pretention. :rolleyes:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2005 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think it just shows pride. Also, the additional cost of the vanity plate is donated to your alma mater. And, in reality, it's less about bragging where you went to school and more about advertising the school to other prospective students. Unfortunately, I work at universities (both the current one and the one I'm moving to) that compete against my alma mater in sports, so it would be imprudent to put such tags on my car if I don't want it keyed in the parking lot! :eek:

4. Aug 9, 2005 #3

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Aw c'mon, Moonbear, take one for the team! :tongue2:
    Hey, why don't we have PF vanity plates? :lightbulb:

5. Aug 9, 2005 #4
    If you live in Michigan and went to any uni here, you can get a state issued license plate with your alma mater as the back ground image.

6. Aug 9, 2005 #5

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

i don't see it as pretentious really...even if the car is a lexus. completing college is hard work, even when you do have financial support. why not brag about it?

7. Aug 9, 2005 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ooh, that gave me such a fun idea! Get those alma mater plates (especially if you attended an expensive private school), stick them on an old, rusty pick-up truck, and make sure your "Still Paying off Student Loans: Will work for Food" cardboard sign is visible in the back at all times. :rofl:

8. Aug 9, 2005 #7
    i've never seen vanity plates around town, but i see lots of shirts, etc & not all of them from the local university. i always wonder if people wearing stanford, harvard, etc merchandise actually went to school at those places. i think that more than anything else when i see someone flashing a school's merchandise.

re: pretention some people actually don't believe me at first when i tell them i've got a degree, mainly because i don't talk about it or math very much. i think it's more because i work on a farm & at a restaurant where mostly "ordinary" people work.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2005
  9. Aug 9, 2005 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nah, wearing the shirt doesn't mean you went to school there. I have shirts from schools that friends and relatives attended, some people just like a college football team, so have their stuff (my step brother who never went to college has college shirts for that reason), and then there's the shirt I have just because I was out in California for a conference and it unexpectedly got cold and rainy one day, so I ducked into the bookstore and bought a sweatshirt to stay warm. When I was in my senior year of high school, the "thing" to do was to buy shirts from the schools you visited, so everyone had an assortment of college shirts. Actually, the funny thing is I never owned one from my OWN college until I was about to graduate and realized I didn't have one and wanted one.

10. Aug 9, 2005 #9

JamesU

Gold Member

Am I the only one who cant figure out ehat 'alma mater' is?

11. Aug 9, 2005 #10
    it's a school that you graduated from

12. Aug 10, 2005 #11

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

that would be a hoot, but then i doubt the ivy league schools would find it funny.
    :rofl:

13. Aug 10, 2005 #12

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

It's latin for "nourishing mother."

14. Aug 10, 2005 #13

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This is a nice college sweatshirt, even if you didn't graduate. At least it's a good party school.

Heck, if you did graduate, you post your diploma on your wall.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?