What's your stance on Alma Mater Vanity Plates?

• Thread starter sean1234
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plates
In summary, the conversation discusses the practice of displaying stickers or license plate frames on cars to announce where the driver went to college. Some view it as pretentious while others see it as a way to show pride and advertise the school. The idea of getting a PF vanity plate is also mentioned. The conversation also touches on the possibility of people wearing college merchandise without actually attending the school and the meaning of "alma mater". Overall, the conversation raises questions about whether this practice is overly pretentious or simply a reasonable source of pride.
sean1234
I am curious as to your thoughts about people who post stickers on the back of their cars or change the license plate frame to announce to the world where they went to college. In some cases you can learn much of a stangers background as they have two or three and one specifies mba or JD or whatever. So is this practice overly pretentious or simply reasonable pride? Does it matter if it says Stanford or X State school when you see one in how you regard it? Personally when I see this I often lean more to pretention. :rolleyes:

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it just shows pride. Also, the additional cost of the vanity plate is donated to your alma mater. And, in reality, it's less about bragging where you went to school and more about advertising the school to other prospective students. Unfortunately, I work at universities (both the current one and the one I'm moving to) that compete against my alma mater in sports, so it would be imprudent to put such tags on my car if I don't want it keyed in the parking lot! :eek:

Moonbear said:
Unfortunately, I work at universities (both the current one and the one I'm moving to) that compete against my alma mater in sports, so it would be imprudent to put such tags on my car if I don't want it keyed in the parking lot! :eek:
Aw c'mon, Moonbear, take one for the team! :tongue2:
Hey, why don't we have PF vanity plates? :lightbulb:

If you live in Michigan and went to any uni here, you can get a state issued license plate with your alma mater as the back ground image.

i don't see it as pretentious really...even if the car is a lexus. completing college is hard work, even when you do have financial support. why not brag about it?

Kerrie said:
i don't see it as pretentious really...even if the car is a lexus. completing college is hard work, even when you do have financial support. why not brag about it?

Ooh, that gave me such a fun idea! Get those alma mater plates (especially if you attended an expensive private school), stick them on an old, rusty pick-up truck, and make sure your "Still Paying off Student Loans: Will work for Food" cardboard sign is visible in the back at all times. :rofl:

i've never seen vanity plates around town, but i see lots of shirts, etc & not all of them from the local university. i always wonder if people wearing stanford, harvard, etc merchandise actually went to school at those places. i think that more than anything else when i see someone flashing a school's merchandise.

re: pretention some people actually don't believe me at first when i tell them I've got a degree, mainly because i don't talk about it or math very much. i think it's more because i work on a farm & at a restaurant where mostly "ordinary" people work.

Last edited:
fourier jr said:
i've never seen vanity plates around town, but i see lots of shirts, etc & not all of them from the local university. i always wonder if people wearing stanford, harvard, etc merchandise actually went to school at those places. i think that more than anything else when i see someone flashing a school's merchandise.

re: pretention some people actually don't believe me at first when i tell them I've got a degree, mainly because i don't talk about it or math very much. i think it's more because i work on a farm & at a restaurant where mostly "ordinary" people work.
Nah, wearing the shirt doesn't mean you went to school there. I have shirts from schools that friends and relatives attended, some people just like a college football team, so have their stuff (my step brother who never went to college has college shirts for that reason), and then there's the shirt I have just because I was out in California for a conference and it unexpectedly got cold and rainy one day, so I ducked into the bookstore and bought a sweatshirt to stay warm. When I was in my senior year of high school, the "thing" to do was to buy shirts from the schools you visited, so everyone had an assortment of college shirts. Actually, the funny thing is I never owned one from my OWN college until I was about to graduate and realized I didn't have one and wanted one.

Am I the only one who can't figure out ehat 'alma mater' is?

yomamma said:
Am I the only one who can't figure out ehat 'alma mater' is?
it's a school that you graduated from

Moonbear said:
Ooh, that gave me such a fun idea! Get those alma mater plates (especially if you attended an expensive private school), stick them on an old, rusty pick-up truck, and make sure your "Still Paying off Student Loans: Will work for Food" cardboard sign is visible in the back at all times. :rofl:

that would be a hoot, but then i doubt the ivy league schools would find it funny.
:rofl:

yomamma said:
Am I the only one who can't figure out what 'alma mater' is?

It's latin for "nourishing mother."

What are Alma Mater Vanity Plates?

Alma Mater Vanity Plates are customized license plates that display the name or logo of a person's alma mater, or college/university they attended.

How do I get an Alma Mater Vanity Plate?

The process of obtaining an Alma Mater Vanity Plate varies by state. Generally, you will need to submit an application and pay a fee to your state's Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). Some states may require proof of alumni status or approval from your alma mater.

Can I customize the design of my Alma Mater Vanity Plate?

While some states have specific designs for Alma Mater Vanity Plates, others may allow for customization within certain guidelines. Check with your state's DMV for more information.

Are there any special requirements for using an Alma Mater Vanity Plate?

In most states, you must have a registered vehicle and a valid driver's license to be eligible for an Alma Mater Vanity Plate. Some states may also have restrictions on using certain symbols or text on the plate.

Can I use an Alma Mater Vanity Plate for any type of vehicle?

Generally, Alma Mater Vanity Plates can only be used for personal vehicles and cannot be used for commercial or government-owned vehicles. However, regulations may vary by state.