1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Almost commutative

1. Jun 30, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm trying to figure out if the following property has a name:

for [itex]g\in G[/itex], [itex]h\in H[/itex], [itex]\exists h'\in H[/itex] s.t. gh=h'g.

obviously this is not quite commutativity, but it seems like it might be useful in a variety of situations.

2. Relevant equations

I've just finished a proof that if a group K has two normal subgroups G and H, whose intersection is just the identity, and whose join is K, then there exists an isomorphism θ(g,h)=gh for all g in G and all h in H. The key to proving surjectivity involved the fact that since H is normal, ghg[itex]^{-1}[/itex] is also in H (call this h') so h=g[itex]^{-1}[/itex]h'g and

[itex]gh=gg^{-1}h'g=h'g[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think I've seen this discussed elsewhere, just can't remember the name. ----commutativity?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

For H a group, the "property" that there exists such an h' doesn't have a name because it is always true! For any such g and h, [itex]h'= ghg^{-1}[/itex] must exist. And that is saying that h and h' are conjugates. Perhaps that is what you are looking for.

4. Jun 30, 2012 #3
    I understand that in the context of groups, this h' is just the result of conjugation of h by g, but my thought was that perhaps this might occur outside of the context groups (say in cases where inverses may not exist)? I can't think of any examples of this though... maybe this is just not useful.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook