Almost Solved my ele. hmwk, need someone to check it

• Thread starter shemer77
  • Start date
In summary, we solved for the resistivity and power dissipated in a wire with a given potential difference and current. We also calculated the equivalent resistance and current for two circuits, one in series and one in parallel. Finally, we determined the equivalent resistance and total power delivered by a battery in a complex circuit.
shemer77

Homework Statement

1) a 12m length of wire with uniform cross sectional area 2.75x10^-7 has a potential difference of 15v applied across it, producing a current of 20A
a) find the resistivity of the wire B) what is the power dissipated in the wire?

2) 2 circuits are made. In circuit 1, 4 resistors (1,2,3,6 ohms) are connected in series. in circuit 2, the same 4 resistors are connected in parallel. The battery emf is 24 volts in both cases. Calculate the equivalent resistance of the each circuit and the current through each resistor.

3)http://img25.imageshack.us/my.php?image=46010928.png
determine the equivalent resistance and the total power deliverd by the battery for this ciruit.
Click here if you can't see the pic
http://img25.imageshack.us/my.php?image=46010928.png

The Attempt at a Solution

1) a) r=I/V r=15/20 r=.75
b) p=IV p=20*15 p=300

2) Equivalent resistance for the series would be 12 because i just added the resistors up and i solved for current doing 24=I(12) V=IR so then the current through each resistor would be 2,4,6,12 respectively
for the parallel i did 1/rp=1/r1+1/r2+1/r3+1/r4 and got 1/3=rp, i solved current using v*r=I
24(1/3)=8 and then for each resistor the current was 24,12,8,4 respectively.

3) I am totally confused on this one?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1 a) is correct answer, but you have symbols for current and voltage wrong.

b) There is an equation for resistivity, that includes length and cross sectional area.

2) Req for series is correct, but the currents aren't. The current of one loop is constant inside that loop. So the currents through each resistor would be?

Req for parralleled is wrong. Your method of finding the total current is right, but for each resistor it's wrong. Kirchof's law states that if you divide one wire into multiple, the sum of the currents is the same as it was in one wire. But the voltage won't be altered in "cross roads".

3) You need to find the Req for the circuit and then you can use the equation for power.

your right there is an equation for resistivity, that includes length and cross sectional area.
but i don't know what the restistivy of my matiral is.

2) for the series circuit would the current through each resistor be 2?
B)i don't get you

3)thanks for nothing on that one, lol you just read the question too me.

shemer77 said:
your right there is an equation for resistivity, that includes length and cross sectional area.
but i don't know what the restistivy of my matiral is.

That's what your trying to figure out. The equation should be [tex]R= \rho \frac{l}{A}[/tex] you know everything else but [tex]\rho[/tex].

2) for the series circuit would the current through each resistor be 2?

Yes.

B)i don't get you

Then you should read about Kirchoff's law. But to get you going, the voltage through each resistor is the same, current isn't.

3)thanks for nothing on that one, lol you just read the question too me.

Your welcome! :tongue2: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resistor#Series_and_parallel_resistors Check that out. You should see those type of connections in the circuit, which you then can use to determine Req for the circuit.

lol thanks man, didnt mean too sound like a loser.

i still don't see how my current through each resistor is wrong for the parallel cirucit.

shemer77 said:
i still don't see how my current through each resistor is wrong for the parallel cirucit.

Try drawing the circuit out with the 4 resistances in parallel connected to the voltage source. You should be able to see that the voltage across each resistor is the same as the voltage source. So if you know the voltage across each resistor, and the resistance of each resistor, you should be able to solve for the current through each resistor.

shemer77 said:
3)
determine the equivalent resistance and the total power deliverd by the battery for this ciruit.
Click here if you can't see the pic

Start collapsing the circuit from the outside, moving towards the voltage source. Use parallel combination where you need it, and use series combination where you need it. It may help to redraw the circuit each time you make a combination, in order to easily see subsequent combinations. Once the circuit is down to just a voltage source and an equivalent resistor, it should be easy to find the power. There are multiple ways to find it.

mplayer said:
Try drawing the circuit out with the 4 resistances in parallel connected to the voltage source. You should be able to see that the voltage across each resistor is the same as the voltage source. So if you know the voltage across each resistor, and the resistance of each resistor, you should be able to solve for the current through each resistor.

isnt the formula i=V/R1 , if that's true then for resisotr one it would be 24/1

shemer77 said:
isnt the formula i=V/R1 , if that's true then for resistor one it would be 24/1

Yep, that's one branch current, just get the other 3 for that parallel circuit and you should be set for that part. After you've calculated those currents, you will need to re-figure the equivalent parallel resistance REQ, it is not 1/3 ohms but it's close.

Once you get the correct REQ, calculate the current through it. You will notice that the current through the REQ is the sum of the individual branch currents. In other words: IREQ = IR1 + IR2 + IR3 + IR4
It might be a good way to confirm your answer.

is it .5?

for number 3 is the equivalent resistance 6?

shemer77 said:
is it .5?

for number 3 is the equivalent resistance 6?

Yep, both are right, good job :biggrin:

1. What is the purpose of this homework assignment?

The purpose of this homework assignment is to practice and demonstrate understanding of the concepts covered in the electronics course.

2. Can someone check my work and provide feedback?

Yes, you can ask for someone to check your work and provide feedback. However, it is important to also try to understand the mistakes and correct them yourself.

3. Is it okay to ask for help with homework?

Asking for help with homework is completely okay. It is important to seek help when needed and to also put in your own effort to learn and understand the material.

4. How do I know if my solution is correct?

You can check your solution by comparing it to the correct answer or by asking someone to check it for you. It is also important to understand the steps and logic behind the solution to ensure accuracy.

5. What should I do if I am stuck on a problem?

If you are stuck on a problem, try taking a break and coming back to it with a fresh perspective. You can also consult your classmates, professor, or online resources for guidance and clarification. It is important to keep trying and not get discouraged.