1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Almost spherical flow

1. Jun 1, 2017 #1

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

Suppose I am considering the diffusion of heat in three dimensions:
    [tex]\frac{\partial T}{\partial t}=\frac{1}{r^{2}}\frac{\partial}{\partial r}\left(r^{2}\frac{\partial T}{\partial r}\right)+\frac{1}{r^{2}\sin\theta}\frac{\partial}{\partial\theta}\left(\sin\theta\frac{\partial T}{\partial\theta}\right)+\frac{1}{r^{2}\sin^{2}\theta}\frac{\partial^{2}T}{\partial\varphi^{2}}[/tex]
    and I am interesting in the case where the diffusion is ``almost spherical'', with azimuthal symmetry that is all derivatives of [itex]\varphi[/itex] vanish and the derivatives in [itex]\theta[/itex] are small. I'm pretty sure that I can't simply scale everything out but is there a functional form of [itex]T[/itex] which I can assume which will do the job?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2017 #2
    Don't you think that all this depends on the boundary conditions? What boundary conditions did you have in mind?

4. Jun 1, 2017 #3

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

Having thought about this, I think that this is a job for multiple scale analysis.

The boundary conditions are Neumann conditions and so can be expanded via perturbation to be on the sphere.

5. Jun 1, 2017 #4
    Please write out the exact boundary comditiom you wish to use.

6. Jun 1, 2017 #5

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

This is only a test problem to see if my idea comes across as sensible. Take for example [itex]\hat{\mathbf{n}}\cdot\nabla T=g(x)[/itex] lets say.

7. Jun 1, 2017 #6
    What's x?

8. Jun 2, 2017 #7

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

[itex]x[/itex] is a point on the boundary.

9. Jun 2, 2017 #8
    So the heat flux at the surface of the sphere is a function of ##\phi##?

10. Jun 2, 2017 #9

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

No, I am considering azimuthal symmetry.

As I said before, I think the method of multiple scales works fine for this problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted