Alpha Decay & Ionization: Modeling an Electron's Tunneling

In summary, a neutral atom undergoing alpha decay may lose its orbital electrons, but this is generally not significant in bulk samples of alpha-active radioisotopes. Charge conservation is essential in determining the daughter nucleus left behind in alpha decay, and has a significant impact on the distribution of electrons during the decay process. Conducting a scattering calculation using a Born-Oppenheimer approach could potentially provide insight into the scattering of electrons by the exiting helium nucleus during alpha emission. There is also experimental evidence of dianions of polonium, but further research is needed to confirm this.
terryphi
Hello,

I'm trying to figure out if an atom undergoing alpha decay can knock out its orbital electrons. I was hoping someone might give me a hand coming up with a model to figure this out.

What I need to figure out is:

How far out does an alpha particle tunnel
can I use a classical approximation of an electron? (IE a particle) if not, how should I handle the quantum mechanics?
At what energy does the alpha particle appear when it first tunnels out?

I don't really have any experience with atomic physics, so any pointers would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
terryphi said:
Hello,

I'm trying to figure out if an atom undergoing alpha decay can knock out its orbital electrons. I was hoping someone might give me a hand coming up with a model to figure this out.

What I need to figure out is:

How far out does an alpha particle tunnel
can I use a classical approximation of an electron? (IE a particle) if not, how should I handle the quantum mechanics?
At what energy does the alpha particle appear when it first tunnels out?

I don't really have any experience with atomic physics, so any pointers would be appreciated.

Well, charge is conserved, so for alpha decay of a neutral atom, *something* has to happen to the "extra" two electrons. My recollection is that they are generally considered to be left behind after the alpha particle splits off, but since dianions are unstable,one of the electrons will auto-detach. The other "extra" electron may also auto-detach if the atom is in an electronically excited state after the decay event. My guess is that these processes do not contribute to a sufficient extent to be noticable (or perhaps even measurable) in bulk samples of alpha-active radio-isotopes .. but I could be wrong about that.

Having said all of that, I really like your idea to simulate the process. I think the right approach would be to do a scattering calculation. As a first approximation you could do a Born-Oppenheimer type treatment where the nuclei are treated classically, and the electrons are treated quantum mechanically. You could potentially then run alpha emission trajectories, running Hartree-Fock or some other electronic structure calculation at each point along the trajectory to see if the electrons are scattered out of the larger decay product by the exiting helium nucleus, or perhaps even captured by the alpha particle (i.e. to form He+). I don't think the latter happens to an appreciable extent, or else alpha particles would not be generally observed/considered to have +2 charge ... again, that last statement is only a supposition on my part.

Sad to say I can't really offer advice on modeling the nuclear decay part of the problem. I doubt that just bunging together the two nuclei and having them spontaneously fly apart is an accurate representation of what really happens.

Last edited:
Charge conservation has nothing to do with alpha decay. I would venture a guess and say that it is possible for an atom to lose electrons during alpha decay, but I really don't know.

Drakkith said:
Charge conservation has nothing to do with alpha decay.

That strikes me as a weird point of view ... I would say that charge conservation is essential for alpha decay, since charge conservation is what determines which daughter nucleus is left behind.

Furthermore, charge conservation has everything to do with where the electrons end up during alpha decay, which was the OP's question. A uranium atom is neutral, while an alpha particle has a +2 charge .. do you really think the thorium hangs around as a -2 ion?

SpectraCat said:
Well, charge is conserved, so for alpha decay of a neutral atom, *something* has to happen to the "extra" two electrons. My recollection is that they are generally considered to be left behind after the alpha particle splits off, but since dianions are unstable,one of the electrons will auto-detach. The other "extra" electron may also auto-detach if the atom is in an electronically excited state after the decay event. My guess is that these processes do not contribute to a sufficient extent to be noticable (or perhaps even measurable) in bulk samples of alpha-active radio-isotopes .. but I could be wrong about that.

Having said all of that, I really like your idea to simulate the process. I think the right approach would be to do a scattering calculation. As a first approximation you could do a Born-Oppenheimer type treatment where the nuclei are treated classically, and the electrons are treated quantum mechanically. You could potentially then run alpha emission trajectories, running Hartree-Fock or some other electronic structure calculation at each point along the trajectory to see if the electrons are scattered out of the larger decay product by the exiting helium nucleus, or perhaps even captured by the alpha particle (i.e. to form He+). I don't think the latter happens to an appreciable extent, or else alpha particles would not be generally observed/considered to have +2 charge ... again, that last statement is only a supposition on my part.

Sad to say I can't really offer advice on modeling the nuclear decay part of the problem. I doubt that just bunging together the two nuclei and having them spontaneously fly apart is an accurate representation of what really happens.

I actually believe I have experimental evidence that I have collected dianions of polonium on a charged balloon. I haven't had a chance to stick it under a spectrometer, but that should be soon.

My background is engineering. Do you have a primer on scattering calculations?

SpectraCat said:
That strikes me as a weird point of view ... I would say that charge conservation is essential for alpha decay, since charge conservation is what determines which daughter nucleus is left behind.

Furthermore, charge conservation has everything to do with where the electrons end up during alpha decay, which was the OP's question. A uranium atom is neutral, while an alpha particle has a +2 charge .. do you really think the thorium hangs around as a -2 ion?

Am I misunderstanding something? I thought charge conservation was as below.
From wikipedia:

In physics, charge conservation is the principle that electric charge can neither be created nor destroyed. The quantity of electric charge, the amount of positive charge minus the amount of negative charge in the universe, is always conserved.

Also:

This does not mean that individual positive and negative charges cannot be destroyed. Electric charge is carried by subatomic particles such as electrons and protons, which can be created and destroyed. In particle physics, charge conservation means that in elementary particle reactions that create charged particles, equal numbers of positive and negative particles are always created, keeping the net amount of charge unchanged. Similarly, when particles are destroyed, equal numbers of positive and negative charges are destroyed.

I don't see "conservation" as coming into play in your example. The alpha decay from an atom leaves behind an atom that is -2 protons from the original atom. There aren't any particles being created or destroyed, so why would charge conservation decide which nucleus is left behind? Also, I agree that it is likely that the new nucleus will lose two electrons, but I don't know if it is guranteed that it will. I still don't know if the alpha particle will "knock" electrons out of their orbitals though.

1. What is alpha decay?

Alpha decay is a type of radioactive decay in which an atomic nucleus emits an alpha particle, which consists of two protons and two neutrons. This process reduces the atomic number of the nucleus by two and the atomic mass by four.

2. How does alpha decay occur?

Alpha decay occurs when an unstable atomic nucleus has too many protons and/or neutrons, making it energetically favorable to release an alpha particle. The nucleus then transforms into a different element with a more stable ratio of protons to neutrons.

3. What is the relationship between alpha decay and ionization?

During alpha decay, the released alpha particle carries a positive charge. This can cause ionization, which is the process of an atom or molecule gaining or losing electrons, in nearby atoms or molecules. This can lead to chemical reactions and changes in the properties of the material.

4. How is an electron's tunneling modeled in alpha decay and ionization?

In alpha decay, the alpha particle tunnels through the potential barrier of the nucleus, which is a manifestation of the strong nuclear force. This process is described by quantum mechanics and can be modeled using wave functions and probability amplitudes.

5. What are the applications of studying alpha decay and ionization?

Understanding alpha decay and ionization is important in many fields, including nuclear physics, chemistry, and medicine. It helps us to better understand the behavior of radioactive materials, develop new technologies for detecting and treating cancer, and explore the fundamental properties of matter.