1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Alpha decay potential barrier.

1. Mar 30, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A nuclei of a atomic number Z decays into a alpha particle (a He nucleus with Z =2) and a daughter nucleus with [itex](Z_{d}[/itex]).
    The decay may be described as the tunneling of an alpha-particle through a barrier caused by the Coulomb potential between the daughter and the alpha-particle.

The potential is: [itex] V(r) = \frac{1}{4\piε_{0}}\frac{2Z_{d}e^{2}}{r} [/itex]

Knowing that the probability of transmission , T, is proportional to

[itex] T \propto e^{{-2* \int_a^b \sqrt{\frac{2m(V(r)-E)}{\hbar }} \,dr }} [/itex]

Calculate the turning points, [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]b[/itex].

Notes: The diagram for the potential barrier is shown inf the link:
    https://www.google.pt/search?q=alph...taneous_Decay_Processes_-_Alpha_Decay;624;354

Im stuck in this problem. I know that i can calculate the turning points at V(r) = E(r), but i do not have E(r). Can u give me a tip for solve this problem?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2013 #2
    I found the second turning point doing the following:

E(r_{2})=V(r_{2})

so

[itex] V(r_{2}) = \frac{1}{4\piε_{0}}\frac{2Z_{d}e^{2}}{r_{2}} [/itex]

then we [itex]r_{2} = \frac{1}{4\piε_{0}}\frac{2Z_{d}e^{2}}{E(r_{2})}[/itex]

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted