Calculating Energy of Th-232 Nuclear Reaction

In summary, the conversation is discussing the decay of Th-232 into He-4 and Ra-228, and the calculation of the energy released. The question is raised about why the book skipped the electrons in the calculation, and it is suggested that the 88 electrons before and after the decay cancel out. However, it is pointed out that the 90 electrons in Th-232 should be retained in Ra-228, so they should not be included in the calculation. It is also mentioned that when calculating energy released from nuclear reactions, the focus is on the mass defect inside the nucleus, so electrons are not considered.
Drizzy

Homework Statement

Th-232 ---> He-4 + Ra-228 + energy

How much is the energy?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

my solution is this:

[m(Th-232)-90m(electron)] - m(He-4) - [8m(Ra-228)-88m(electron)]

My book skipped the electrons, why?

Physics news on Phys.org
Drizzy said:

Homework Statement

Th-232 ---> He-4 + Ra-228 + energy

How much is the energy?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

my solution is this:

What's the mass of an electron compared to the mass of say, a proton?

SteamKing said:
What's the mass of an electron compared to the mass of say, a proton?
veeeeeeery small

Drizzy said:
veeeeeeery small
So if you took 88 veeery small electrons and put them together, would you have something which approached the mass of even 1 proton?

SteamKing said:
So if you took 88 veeery small electrons and put them together, would you have something which approached the mass of even 1 proton?

no :P but my friend is saying that they skipped the electrons because there are 88 electrons before the decay and equally as much after. but if that was the case then I should be able to write the mass of the electrons and then cross them off because they cancel out each other

Drizzy said:
no :P but my friend is saying that they skipped the electrons because there are 88 electrons before the decay and equally as much after. but if that was the case then I should be able to write the mass of the electrons and then cross them off because they cancel out each other

Can someone tell me if my friend is right?

Drizzy said:

Firstly, I think there should not be a 8(the blue one)here.

Secondly, I doubt if the red 88 is true. In alpha decay, a positive helium nucleus without electrons is emitted and the 90 electrons in Th-232 should be retained in the Ra-228 formed. Thus, they are fully canceled out.

By the way, from what I have learnt, we focus on the mass defect inside the nucleus when calculating the energy released from nuclear reactions, so we don't consider the electrons.

Correct me if I was mistaken though.

1. How is energy calculated in a Th-232 nuclear reaction?

The energy of a Th-232 nuclear reaction can be calculated using the Einstein's famous equation, E=mc^2, where E is the energy released, m is the mass defect (difference between the initial and final masses of the reactants and products), and c is the speed of light.

2. What is the mass defect in a Th-232 nuclear reaction?

The mass defect in a Th-232 nuclear reaction is the difference between the initial mass of the Th-232 nucleus and the final mass of the products after the reaction. This difference is due to the conversion of some of the mass into energy according to Einstein's equation.

3. How is the mass defect calculated in a Th-232 nuclear reaction?

The mass defect in a Th-232 nuclear reaction can be calculated by subtracting the final mass of the products from the initial mass of the Th-232 nucleus. This difference in mass is then used in Einstein's equation to calculate the energy released during the reaction.

4. What is the role of the binding energy in the calculation of energy in a Th-232 nuclear reaction?

The binding energy is the energy that holds the nucleus of an atom together. In a nuclear reaction, the binding energy is released as the nucleons rearrange and form new products. This binding energy is included in the mass defect calculation and contributes to the overall energy released in the reaction.

5. Can the energy released in a Th-232 nuclear reaction be calculated accurately?

Yes, the energy released in a Th-232 nuclear reaction can be calculated accurately by taking into account the mass defect, binding energy, and other factors such as the type of reaction and the energy of the particles involved. However, due to some uncertainties in the measurement of masses and energies, the calculated value may have a small margin of error.