1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Alpha decay

1. Feb 16, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Th-232 ---> He-4 + Ra-228 + energy

How much is the energy?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

my solution is this:

[m(Th-232)-90m(electron)] - m(He-4) - [8m(Ra-228)-88m(electron)]

My book skipped the electrons, why?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2016 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What's the mass of an electron compared to the mass of say, a proton?

4. Feb 16, 2016 #3
    veeeeeeery small

5. Feb 16, 2016 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So if you took 88 veeery small electrons and put them together, would you have something which approached the mass of even 1 proton?

6. Feb 16, 2016 #5
    no :P but my friend is saying that they skipped the electrons because there are 88 electrons before the decay and equally as much after. but if that was the case then I should be able to write the mass of the electrons and then cross them off because they cancel out each other

7. Feb 17, 2016 #6
    Can someone tell me if my friend is right?

8. Feb 17, 2016 #7
    Firstly, I think there should not be a 8(the blue one)here.

Secondly, I doubt if the red 88 is true. In alpha decay, a positive helium nucleus without electrons is emitted and the 90 electrons in Th-232 should be retained in the Ra-228 formed. Thus, they are fully cancelled out.

By the way, from what I have learnt, we focus on the mass defect inside the nucleus when calculating the energy released from nuclear reactions, so we don't consider the electrons.

Correct me if I was mistaken though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted