How can I build a large alpha particle generator for He++ production?

In summary: Would like the total extracted CW beam current to be above 30 mA, extracted through a 6 mm diameter aperture at 40 keV or more, all or mostly He++. It will go through a linac from there.In summary, your alpha particle source would need a 30 milliamp cw ECR, a LEBT, and a RFQ.
jarreau
I am looking to source (build) a large alpha particle generator that creates (mostly) He++ and not He+ particles. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Most alpha decay sources generate He-++ alpha particles as far as I know.

Yes, but the percentage is low 1-3%. I need a very high percent of He++. Thanks.

What energy alphas do you need? 10 eV or 5 MeV? Bend the alpha particles through a dipole magnet, and keep only those with the highest e/M ratio. I saw some desktop/portable setups like this with radioactive alpha emitters and electro magnets at LBL Berkeley a few years ago.
Bob S

jarreau said:
I am looking to source (build) a large alpha particle generator that creates (mostly) He++ and not He+ particles. Thanks.

There are four possibilities:

1) Simply take He gas and strip the atom of 2 electrons to accelerate alpha particles to the desired energy. That's a non-radioactive source.

2) (n, α) Li-6 which requires a neutron source and is radioactive

3) alpha decay of various Ra, Rn, Po isotopes and transuranics, but is radioactive
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/nuclear/radser.html

4) (d,t) fusion -> (n, α), but that produces a 14.1 MeV neutron, and a 3.5 MeV alpha, but is radioactive

Thanks for the answers

Astronuc, How do I do 1? 2,3,4 are radioactive, so they are not preferred.

Bob S, Would like the total extracted CW beam current to be above 30 mA, extracted through a 6 mm diameter aperture at 40 keV or more, all or mostly He++. It will go through a linac from there.

Thanks for the answers.

You are talking about a serious alpha particle source (30 milliamps cw at 40 KeV = 1.2 kW of alphas). You will probably need an ECR (electron cyclotron source), a LEBT (low energy beam transport) with a magnetic bend (momentum filter), probably followed by a RFQ (RF quadrupole accelerator) before a linac. 40 KeV is too low a velocity for a standing wave (DTL or drift tube) linac. What frequency is your DTL?
Bob S

1. What is an alpha particle generator?

An alpha particle generator is a device that produces alpha particles, which are positively charged particles consisting of two protons and two neutrons. These particles are commonly emitted by radioactive materials.

2. How does an alpha particle generator work?

An alpha particle generator works by using a source of radioactive material, such as uranium or radium, and placing it in a sealed container. The radioactive material decays and emits alpha particles, which are then guided through a small opening in the container to produce a concentrated beam of particles.

3. What are the uses of an alpha particle generator?

Alpha particle generators are commonly used in scientific research, particularly in the fields of nuclear physics and nuclear medicine. They can also be used in industrial applications, such as in smoke detectors.

4. Are alpha particles dangerous?

Alpha particles can be dangerous if ingested or inhaled, as they can damage living cells and tissues. However, most alpha particle generators are designed to contain the particles and prevent exposure to humans.

5. What are the benefits of using an alpha particle generator?

Alpha particle generators are useful for studying the properties of alpha particles and their interactions with matter. They are also important for medical imaging and cancer treatment, as some radioactive materials that emit alpha particles can be used to target and destroy cancer cells.