Alpha Particle-Gold Nucleus Collision: Solving for Initial and Final Momentum

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving an alpha particle colliding with a gold nucleus. The initial and final momentums for both particles are considered, and the approach to solving the problem is suggested to be the Rutherford way rather than relativistically. The use of conservation of energy and momentum is also suggested.
lebprince

Homework Statement

An alpha particle (a helium nucleus, containing 2 protons and 2 neutrons) starts out with kinetic energy of 9.5 MeV (9.5106 eV), and heads in the +x direction straight toward a gold nucleus (containing 79 protons and 118 neutrons). The particles are initially far apart, and the gold nucleus is initially at rest. Answer the following questions about the collision.

a)What is the initial momentum of the alpha particle? (You may assume its speed is small compared to the speed of light).

b)What is the final momentum of the alpha particle, long after it interacts with the gold nucleus?

c) What is the final momentum of the gold nucleus, long after it interacts with the alpha particle?

The Attempt at a Solution

i have solved the initial momentum for the gold nucleaus and got <0,0,0> which was true, and the y and z components of the final momentum of the gold nucleus are also 0's, but i couldn't find the x. i need some help with these 3 parts a,b,c Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
i think you shold solve it in "routherford" way, not relativistically...

so try to think how to get the velocity from the kinetic energy, then use all the theorem you know, such as conservations of energy and momentum ;)

Marco_84 said:
i think you shold solve it in "routherford" way, not relativistically...

so try to think how to get the velocity from the kinetic energy, then use all the theorem you know, such as conservations of energy and momentum ;)

i know that k= 1/2 mv^2 and i have k given but how would i find m? is it the 4/avogadrosnumber?

1. What are alpha particles?

Alpha particles are positively charged particles consisting of two protons and two neutrons, similar to the nucleus of a helium atom.

2. How does the momentum of an alpha particle compare to that of other types of particles?

Alpha particles have a relatively large momentum due to their mass and velocity, making them more difficult to deflect or stop compared to smaller particles like electrons.

3. What is the relationship between the momentum and mass of an alpha particle?

The momentum of an alpha particle is directly proportional to its mass. This means that an alpha particle with a greater mass will have a greater momentum.

4. How does the momentum of an alpha particle change as it travels through different materials?

The momentum of an alpha particle remains constant as it travels through different materials, but its velocity and kinetic energy may change due to interactions with the material's atoms.

5. Can the momentum of an alpha particle be changed or manipulated?

Yes, the momentum of an alpha particle can be changed or manipulated through interactions with other particles or fields, such as in particle accelerators or in nuclear reactions.