Alpha Particles: Time for Half Circle Motion

In summary, an alpha particle (the nucleus of a helium atom) consists of two protons and two neutrons. It is injected into a region with a vertical magnetic field of magnitude 0.113 T with a speed of 2.0 x 10^5 m/s. To determine how long it takes for the particle to move halfway through a complete circle, the equation T = 2pieM/qB can be used, where T is the period of the circular motion, M is the mass, q is the charge, and B is the magnetic field. By looking up the mass of a helium atom and knowing the charge of a helium nucleus, the equation can be solved to find the time it takes for the particle to move
whoknows12345
An alpha particle (the nucleus of a helium atom) consists of two protons and two neutrons. A horizontal beam of alpha particles is injected with a speed of 2.0 105 m/s into a region with a vertical magnetic field of magnitude 0.113 T.

(a) How long does it take for an alpha particle to move halfway through a complete circle?

I am trying to apply this equation:

T = 2pieM/qB

and I thought about it, do I use the speed as my q and for m, find the mass of (two protons and two neutrons) for my m?

Physics news on Phys.org
whoknows12345 said:
An alpha particle (the nucleus of a helium atom) consists of two protons and two neutrons. A horizontal beam of alpha particles is injected with a speed of 2.0 105 m/s into a region with a vertical magnetic field of magnitude 0.113 T.

(a) How long does it take for an alpha particle to move halfway through a complete circle?

I am trying to apply this equation:

T = 2pieM/qB

and I thought about it, do I use the speed as my q and for m, find the mass of (two protons and two neutrons) for my m?
Rather than trying to apply an equation why not start by telling us what physics law applies here.

The T is the period of the circular motion, m is the mass, q is the charge, and B is the magnetic field. Look up the mass of a helium atom and use that (the electrons do not add much mass). What is the charge of a helium nucleus?

AM

i understand that, but when do I actually use my speed given to find the answer?

whoknows12345 said:
i understand that, but when do I actually use my speed given to find the answer?
What is the relationship between speed and magnetic force on a moving charge? That is what you have to use. You then have to relate that to circular motion to find the radius of the circular path. That will give you the distance the particle has to move through.

AM

1. What are alpha particles?

Alpha particles are positively charged particles that are emitted by some radioactive materials. They are made up of two protons and two neutrons, which gives them a charge of +2. They are the largest and slowest moving type of radiation.

2. How do alpha particles move?

Alpha particles move in a half circle motion due to their positive charge. As they are emitted from a radioactive source, they are attracted to the negative end of a magnetic field and are forced to move in a curved path.

3. How long does it take for alpha particles to complete one half circle?

The time it takes for alpha particles to complete one half circle depends on the strength of the magnetic field and the speed of the particles. Generally, it takes a few microseconds to complete one half circle.

4. What is the purpose of studying alpha particles in half circle motion?

Studying alpha particles in half circle motion can provide valuable information about the properties of the particles and the strength of the magnetic field. It can also help in understanding the behavior of radiation and its effects on living organisms.

5. How can alpha particles be detected and measured?

Alpha particles can be detected and measured using specialized equipment such as Geiger counters and scintillation detectors. These devices can detect the ionizing effect of alpha particles and provide a measure of their energy and intensity.