Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Alshar's Lorandite

1. May 6, 2008 #1
    I came across various sites that discuss the mineral known as lorandite (TlAsS2). One, a more 'popular science' one is www@worldpress.org/Europe/2781.cfm . There's a paper too, but I can't get it since it's not freely available (www@sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6TJM-473DD45-FJ&_user=10&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&view=c&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=0c9c11a59c9706071b4a8c5988be1dc8 ). So, can some one explain how can this mineral detect the solar neutrino flux and if it can, why isn't it widely used as a detector?

( replace the @s with dots in the links, the forum tells me that I need to have more than 15 posts in order to post links )

PS. I hope this it the right forum for this kind of questions, please move it if I'm wrong.
  2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2008 #2
    A Tl atom can absorb a neutrino and through sort of a reverse beta decay become an atom of lead - Pb-205. The lead is stuck in the mineral and so if you can detect the few lead atoms generated over the geologic time you will have an idea of neutrino flux over geologic time... It isn't used routinely because it is very complex to count the few lead atoms, AND be sure you have eliminated all the other ways lead might show up...
  4. May 7, 2008 #3
    Billygoat, thanks for the answer. I was very confused about this mineral, as a local (as in, Macedonian) newspaper wrote that it can release large amounts of energy, thus becoming an "artificial Sun", which sounded like and seems to be - nonsense.
  5. May 8, 2008 #4
    Yeah, dzogi, I expect it is nonsense although I've not seen the article, of course. There is a small amount of energy relesed on the absorption of the neutrino, but small compared to many nuclear processes.
  6. Dec 19, 2009 #5
    if anyone want to bye the lorandite or something else from alshar tell me or mail me for contacs
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?