Find 'a' Values for Ax + Y = 7 & 4X + Ay = 19

• Thread starter wayneo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrices
In summary, the equations { ax + y = 7} and { 4x + ay = 19} have no solutions when the determinant of the matrix A = \left(\begin{array}{cc}a & 1\\4 & a\end{array}\right) is equal to 0. This results in a quadratic equation with two solutions: a = -2 and a = 2. Therefore, the values of 'a' for which the equations have no solutions are +/- 2.
wayneo
find the values of 'a' for which the equations { ax + y = 7}
{ 4x + ay = 19}
have no solutions.

I realize that you have to split it into

(a 1) (x) (7)
(4 a) (y) = (19)

but I am stuck how to find solutions for 'a'

any help would be great thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Note that this can only happen if the deteminant of your matrix is 0..

As arildno said, if the determinant of the matrix[tex] A = \left(
\begin{array}{cc}
a & 1\\
4 & a
\end{array}
\right)[/tex] is 0 then the equation has no solutions. (Or infinitely many)

Why is this? To solve for x and y you have to multiply both sides by [tex]A^{-1}[/tex]. For [tex]A[/tex] to be invertible, what must be true of the determinant of [tex]A[/tex]?

Last edited:
but the answer in the book says +/- 2 how is that

'a' can have multiple values; that is, there are multiple matrices for which those equations have no solutions.

Note if you take the determinant of that matix and solve for 'a' you get a quadratic with two solutions.

wayneo said:
but the answer in the book says +/- 2 how is that
So far you haven't given any indication that you have understood or tried using the hints given. What is the determinant of that matrix?
What equation for a do you get if you set the determinant equal to 0? What are the solutions to that equation?

1. How do I find the value of 'a' in the equation Ax + Y = 7?

To find the value of 'a' in this equation, you can use algebraic techniques such as substitution or elimination. First, isolate the variable 'a' on one side of the equation by moving all other terms to the other side. Then, use the known values of x and y to solve for 'a'.

2. Can I solve for 'a' using only one equation?

No, to solve for 'a' in this system of equations, you will need to use both equations together. This is because each equation contains two variables and you need two equations to solve for two variables.

3. What if there is no solution for 'a'?

If there is no solution for 'a', then the two equations are contradictory and do not have a common solution. This means that the system of equations is inconsistent and cannot be solved.

4. Is there a specific method I should use to solve for 'a'?

There are multiple methods you can use to solve for 'a' in this system of equations, such as substitution, elimination, or graphing. Choose the method that you are most comfortable with and that works best for the specific equations you are given.

5. Can I solve for 'a' if the equations have fractions or decimals?

Yes, you can still solve for 'a' even if the equations contain fractions or decimals. Just be sure to keep track of any operations you perform and simplify your answer as much as possible.