Alternating Current 6: Period, Load Resistance, RMS & Peak Power

• Thread starter islandguy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Current
In summary, an alternator produces a pure alternating current by rotating a coil in a uniform magnetic field. The output voltage can be described by V=12sin100t. The period of the alternating voltage can be calculated by dividing the frequency of 100t by 2π. The output is connected to a resistive load of 6 ohms, and the equation that describes the variation of current through the load is I=V/R. The r.m.s value of the current can be calculated using the equation I(rms)=I(max)/√2. The peak value of power consumed by the load can be calculated using the equation P=I(max)^2*R. A graph of power developed across the resistor over time would
islandguy
6. A pure alternating current is produced by an alternator in which a coil rotates in a uniform magnetic field. The output voltage from the alternator can be described by V=12sin100t.
a) What is the period of the alternating voltage produced?
[ marks]
b) The output from the alternator is connected across a resistive Load of 6 ohms.
i) Write down the equation that describes the variation of current
through the load.
[ mark]
ii) Calculate the r.m.s value of the current.
[ mark]
iii) Calculate the peak value of the power consumed by the load.
[ mark]
iv) Sketch a graph of power developed across the resistor, as time passes.

Thanks for ur help

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a plug-n-chug type of question. What kind of problem are you having with it?

a) The period of the alternating voltage produced is 1/100 seconds or 0.01 seconds.

b) i) The equation that describes the variation of current through the load is I=V/R, where V is the voltage and R is the resistance. In this case, the voltage is given by V=12sin100t, so the current can be written as I=(12sin100t)/6.

ii) To calculate the r.m.s value of the current, we need to square the current equation and then take the average over one period. This can be written as:

Irms = √(∫(I^2)dt/T)

= √(∫((12sin100t)/6)^2dt/T)

= √(∫(12^2sin^2(100t))/36dt/T)

= √((12^2/36)∫sin^2(100t)dt/T)

= √((12^2/36)(T/2))

= √((12^2/36)(1/200))

= √(12^2/7200)

= √(144/7200)

= 0.2 amps

Therefore, the r.m.s value of the current is 0.2 amps.

iii) To calculate the peak value of the power consumed by the load, we need to use the equation P=I^2R, where I is the r.m.s current calculated in part (ii) and R is the resistance. In this case, the peak power can be written as:

Ppeak = (0.2)^2 x 6 = 0.24 watts

Therefore, the peak value of the power consumed by the load is 0.24 watts.

iv) The graph of power developed across the resistor as time passes would look like a sine wave, with the peak power occurring at the peaks of the sine wave and the lowest power occurring at the zero crossings. The x-axis would represent time (in seconds) and the y-axis would represent power (in watts). The graph would look something like this:

[Graph of power developed across the resistor, with time on the x-axis and power on the y-axis, showing a sine wave with peaks at the top and bottom and zero crossings in between]

1. What is alternating current (AC)?

Alternating current is an electrical current that constantly changes direction. It is the type of current that is used in most household and industrial electrical systems.

2. What is the period of an alternating current?

The period of an alternating current is the amount of time it takes for the current to complete one full cycle, or to change direction and return to its starting point. It is measured in seconds.

3. How does load resistance affect alternating current?

The load resistance, or the resistance of the device or circuit that is connected to the AC source, affects the amount of current that can flow through the circuit. Higher load resistance will result in a lower current flow, while lower load resistance will result in a higher current flow.

4. What is RMS power in relation to alternating current?

RMS (Root Mean Square) power is a way to measure the average power of an AC signal. It takes into account the varying amplitude of the current and calculates the equivalent DC power that would produce the same amount of heat in a resistor as the AC signal. It is typically used to compare the power output of different AC sources.

5. What is peak power in relation to alternating current?

Peak power is the maximum amount of power that an AC source can deliver at any given time. It occurs at the peak of the AC waveform, when the voltage and current are at their highest values. Peak power is important to consider when selecting electrical components and designing circuits to ensure they can handle the maximum power output of the AC source.