Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Altering radioactive decay

1. Oct 17, 2008 #1
    Since beta decay emissions are affected strongly by a magnetic field, I am wondering (asking) if there has been any investigation into an oscillating (reversing) magnetic field, applied to a test sample under pressure, inducing a beta decay in a test sample.

TIA, Gordon

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2008 #2
    I have been searching for something along the line of what I have suggested and find this abstract which is the sort of thing I am asking about here.

Abstract – "Measurements are reported of the acceleration of the first-forbidden beta decay of
    137 Cs by exposure to intense, low-frequency electromagnetic fields. Two separate experiments were
    done: one in a coaxial cavity, and the other in a coaxial transmission line. The first showed an
    increase in the beta decay rate of (6.8 ± 3.2) × 10−4 relative to the natural rate, and the other
    resulted in an increase of (6.5± 2.0) × 10−4. In addition, a Fourier analysis of the rate of 662 keV
    gamma emission following from the beta decay in the standing-wave experiment showed a clear
    indication of the frequency with which the external field was switched on and off. A simultaneously
    detected gamma emission from a placebo nucleus showed no such peak."

http://www.iop.org/EJ/article/0295-...quest-id=028447a3-0f68-484c-8e02-53f35beb5903

Last edited: Oct 17, 2008
  4. Nov 12, 2008 #3
    "Since beta decay emissions are affected strongly by a magnetic field"...

-> Are they?

They're influenced by the magnetic field created by the 60Co nucleus itself, but such a field is completely unattainable by human means - at least in a foreseeable future.

Fun, I read similar things on another forum some months ago. Seems that somebody is looking for rich gullible people.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?