1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Alternate current problem

1. Nov 12, 2009 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm trying to solve the problem 8.12 in Purcell's book on Electricity and Magnetism.

The circuit is like that :

|--------------|------------|
    |...................|..................R
    |...................C................|
    emf................|................C
    |....................R...............|
    |--------------|-------------
    (The points represent nothing, I had to write them because otherwise the circuit wouldn't appear as I'd like).
    1)Find the current passing through the emf.
    2)Demonstrate that if [tex]V_{AB}=V_B-V_A[/tex] then [tex]|V_{AB}|^2=V_0^2[/tex] for all [tex]\omega[/tex].
    3)Find the phase difference between the current that passes through the emf and a capacitor.
    2. Relevant equations
    None given.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm currently trying to do part 1).
    I forgot to mention that [tex]\omega[/tex] is the angular frequency and [tex]V_0[/tex] is the amplitude of [tex]V(t)[/tex].
    What I did so far : I notice that the current through both loops is the same and is worth [tex]I=\frac{V(t)}{Z}[/tex] where [tex]Z=R-\frac{i}{\omega C} \Rightarrow I(t)=\frac{2V_0 \cos (\omega t + \phi)\cdot \omega C}{\omega C R-i}[/tex].
    How is that possible that the current is has an imaginary part? I guess I made an error, could you confirm?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2009 #2

Pythagorean

Gold Member

currents and voltages both can have an "imaginary part" (I hate the name "imaginary", so misleading).

It's usually written in phasor notation, so you'd convert the cartesian form:

[tex]x + iy[/tex]
    to the polar form
    [tex]r^{i\theta}[/tex]

and then write it in phasor notation:
    [tex] r \angle \theta [/tex]

4. Nov 12, 2009 #3

fluidistic

Gold Member

Ok thank you, I understand.
    Is my answer correct though?

5. Nov 12, 2009 #4

Pythagorean

Gold Member

that I can't say for sure, but I can tell you that it's what I would have done.

6. Nov 12, 2009 #5

fluidistic

Gold Member

Thank you once again. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook