Alternating current circuits

In summary, it is unknown whether the two circuit elements are R, L, or C. When a 3.0-V dc power supply is connected across the terminals , there is a direct current of 300 mA in the circuit. When a 3.0-V, 60-Hz source is connected , the current becomes 200 mA.
Dita
Two connections allow contact with two circuit elements in series inside a box, but it is not known whether the circuit elements are R,L, or C. In an attempt to find what is inside the box, you make some measurements with the following results. When a 3.0-V dc power supply is connected across the terminals , there is a direct current of 300 mA in the circuit. When a 3.0-V, 60-Hz source is connected , the current becomes 200 mA.

a) What are the two elements in the box?
b) What are their values of R, L or C?

Physics news on Phys.org
the answers are one inductor and one resistor, and their values are ~29.65mH and 10 ohms.

Can anyone offer some insight on how you would go about solving this? I'm so lost in trying to solve this problem.

Smok said:
Can anyone offer some insight on how you would go about solving this? I'm so lost in trying to solve this problem.

the direct current refers to stable conditions after the transient behavior of the circuit. First off, in DC circuits, capacitors behave like open circuits and inductors behave like short circuits after the transient response.

Therefore, the DC current represents solely the resistive element(s) inside the box, and we know that there is not a capacitor inside the box (else the current would be zero).

Using the ohm's law with the applied voltage and drawn current, we can calculate the total resistance inside the box.

After that calculation, we must find what inductive impedance (+j) must be added to the calculated resistor to draw a sinusoidal current with a peak of 200mA when a sinusoidal voltage with a peak of 3 volts is applied.

Finally, we apply the equation that calculates impedance based on frequency and inductance to find inductance.

Thank you very much for the help. I'm absolutely terrible when it comes to inductance and anything related to alternating current =/

xcvxcvvc said:
After that calculation, we must find what inductive impedance (+j) must be added to the calculated resistor to draw a sinusoidal current with a peak of 200mA when a sinusoidal voltage with a peak of 3 volts is applied.

Finally, we apply the equation that calculates impedance based on frequency and inductance to find inductance.

So I understand everything up to this point but I keep getting stuck on calculating the L. I'm getting .0132H for some reason. I'm guessing I'm doing something horribly wrong but I'm setting Vmax as 3V, VR,max as (.2 A * 10 Ohms) and VL as (2*[tex]\pi[/tex])*60L) and plugging all that into Vmax = [tex]\sqrt{Vr^2+VL^2}[/tex]

I know this is wrong but I don't know why and it's driving me nuts...

Can you or anyone else offer some insight? I hate asking for step by step instructions but my back's against the wall.

[tex]|Z|=\sqrt{R^2 +X^2}[/tex]
[tex]X=\omega L[/tex]
[tex]|I|=\frac{|V|}{|Z|}[/tex]

xcvxcvvc said:
[tex]|Z|=\sqrt{R^2 +X^2}[/tex]
[tex]X=\omega L[/tex]
[tex]|I|=\frac{|V|}{|Z|}[/tex]

Ok, I was using the correct equations, it was just a stupid mathematical error. Thanks a lot for all the help.

What is alternating current (AC)?

Alternating current is an electrical current that periodically reverses direction, changing from positive to negative and back again. This results in a flow of current that alternates between two directions, unlike direct current (DC) which flows in only one direction.

How does alternating current flow in a circuit?

In an alternating current circuit, the current is generated by an alternating voltage source, such as a power outlet. The current then flows through the circuit in a back-and-forth motion, oscillating between positive and negative values. This allows for the transfer of electrical energy to different parts of the circuit.

What are the advantages of using alternating current?

One of the main advantages of alternating current is that it can be easily converted to different voltages using transformers. This allows for efficient transmission of electricity over long distances. Additionally, AC can be easily converted to DC using rectifiers, making it versatile for use in a variety of electronic devices.

What are the components of an alternating current circuit?

An alternating current circuit typically includes a power source, such as a generator, a load, such as a light bulb, and conductors, such as wires, that connect the source to the load. It may also include components such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors to control the flow of current.

What are some common applications of alternating current circuits?

Alternating current circuits are used in a wide range of applications, including power generation and distribution, lighting, heating and cooling systems, electric motors, and electronic devices. They are also used in many industrial and commercial settings for various manufacturing processes.