Can Alternating Current Sources Stabilize Z-Pinch Fusion?

In summary, the idea is to create a sustained z pinch using alternating current sources in parallel. The plasma physicists have been studying instabilities for 50-60 years and have found that the kink mode is the easiest to model, but that shining a laser down the center of the pinch will not stabilize it. There are known ways to stabilize it.
Engineering news on Phys.org
What would happen when the current cycles through zero?

Not sure how one would use a set of AC currents in parallel.

Likes Colin LeMahieu
For your set up it's important to consider how the frequency of the driver compares to the Alfven frequency of the plasma. Magnetically confined plasma equilibrate on time scales comparable to the Alfven frequency.

If you drive the AC at a frequency slower than the Alfven frequency, then the Z-pinch evolution can be modeled a progression through a series of quasi-equilibria. As Astronuc hinted at when the current cycles through zero you will completely lose confinement. Your plasma will likely quench. And it's best to think of the next current cycle as a distinct Z-pinch. People have studied similar pulsed configurations as a means of operating a "steady state" fusion power plant.

On the other hand it's not exactly clear what will happen if your operate the current at a frequency that exceeds the Alfven frequency. You might be able to achieve macroscopic force balance in some average sense, but the plasma particles will no longer be confined to magnetic field lines. This will greatly reduce the particle and energy confinement. It is counterproductive and not ideal for a fusion reactor.

If you're interested in plasma physics/nuclear fusion you need to move beyond a physical mode based on the interaction of individual particles. An important aspect of plasma physics is the collective behavior that arises from the interaction many particles. In your white paper you make multiple erroneous statements that mostly stem from an over reliance on the individual particle mode. For instance there is no longitudinal force in a Z-pinch (you call in a current force), in steady-state the pinch force is balance by the plasma pressure not the coulomb force, and at no point is the pinch force overcome the coulomb barrier. If you're interested I can recommend several textbooks. Chen's book "Introduction to Plasma Physics and Controlled Fusion" is a standard introductory textbook.

Likes Paul Colby and Colin LeMahieu
Thanks for taking a look guys, admittedly my writeup is simplistic since my background is in software. I'll read that book since it would certainly step up my understanding.

I amended the writeup to clarify something I thought was especially lacking in a section called "Plasma tolerances and instabilities". The hope was to draw attention to the proposed significant increase in gap between plasma and the surrounding container. My hope was using this method would avoid needing to solve plasma instabilities at all by losening tolerances to a point where they don't cause a problem.

Let me know if that amendment helps or if I dug myself in even deeper ;) Again, thanks for looking!

Plasma physicists have been studying instabilities for 50-60 years. The kink mode in a Z-pinch is perhaps the easiest instability to model and it's fairly well understood. We also have a lot of experience shining laser light into magnetized plasmas. We often use the light reflected from laser pulses to diagnose the conditions inside the plasma. I can tell you will absolute certainty that shinning a laser down the center of a Z-pinch will not stabilize the kink.

It was a cleaver leap to try to apply to result from the atmospheric discharge to the Z-pinch. Unfortunately the conditions in the two plasma are very different. For starters Z-pinches typically have 100 times more current (if not a lot more) than the atmospheric discharges. The drive for the kink increases with the current so Z-pinches are that much more unstable than the atmospheric discharge. Secondly in the paper you cited earlier, the "stabilization" of the atmospheric discharge is due to the formation of a high conducting current channel in atmosphere. Z-pinches are formed in near vacuum conditions.

There are know ways to stabilize the Z-pinch. The first is to apply an axial magnetic field turning the Z-pinch into a screw pinch. The second into apply an axial flow shear. There's actually an exciting experiment, the ZaP flow experiment, at the University of Washington that is exploring this second option.

1. What is an alternating current Z pinch?

An alternating current Z pinch is a type of plasma confinement technique in which a current-carrying wire is wrapped around a cylindrical or spherical target. The current creates a magnetic field that compresses the target, causing it to heat up and form a plasma.

2. How does an alternating current Z pinch work?

The alternating current in a Z pinch creates a rapidly changing magnetic field that induces a current in the plasma. This current interacts with the magnetic field, causing the plasma to compress and heat up. The plasma then emits high-energy radiation and can reach temperatures of millions of degrees.

3. What are the applications of an alternating current Z pinch?

Alternating current Z pinches have a variety of applications, including fusion research, high-energy density physics, and the production of X-rays for medical imaging and industrial applications. They can also be used to study the properties of matter at extreme conditions, such as those found in stars and other astrophysical environments.

4. What are the advantages of using an alternating current Z pinch?

One of the main advantages of an alternating current Z pinch is its ability to create high-energy plasmas in a relatively small and simple setup. This makes it a cost-effective option for many applications. Additionally, the compression of the plasma results in a high-density and high-temperature environment, allowing for the study of matter under extreme conditions.

5. What are the challenges associated with an alternating current Z pinch?

One of the main challenges with an alternating current Z pinch is the instability of the plasma. This can result in fluctuations in the magnetic field and the current, which can affect the compression and heating of the plasma. Another challenge is the short duration of the plasma, which requires precise timing and control for experiments. Additionally, the high temperatures and radiation produced by the plasma can be hazardous and require careful handling and shielding.