1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Alternating Current

1. Aug 10, 2009 #1
    I understand the basic difference between "direct current" and "alternating current", but can someone explain to me why most appliances require the use of alternating current (that is why power plants emit AC to our outlets) instead of direct current? I mean it makes sense if appliances have motors in them, that AC would be beneficial, but not all appliances have motors in them (and some motors can have built-in commutators). So why do we prefer AC?

Thanks,

JL

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2009 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's easier to change voltages (because of transformers) so it's more efficient to transmit.
    Heating appliances don't really care if it's AC or DC.
    For appliances that need dc it's easier for them to convert an AC voltage into the potential they need and then make that DC than than convert one DC voltage to another.

4. Aug 10, 2009 #3
  5. Aug 10, 2009 #4
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook