Alternating currents circuits

In summary: I expect there is likely more information in the problem somewhere, and I suspect the answer might be simpler than you'd think. I suggest you keep looking in the text or ask your teacher.In summary, the circuit in figure G contains resistors R1=20 ohms and R2=10 ohms, and inductors X1=37.7 ohms and X2=-53.1 ohms. The current and phase angle between the current and the applied voltage can be computed using Ohm's law and the given values. The circuit can be reduced to a single complex impedance, and the phase angle of the current can be determined from the angle of the impedance. Additional information, such as frequency or voltage and current
Fyr554

Homework Statement

part 1 Consider the circuit of figure G, where R1=20 ohms R2=10 ohms X1=37.7 ohms X2=-53.1 ohms. Compute the current and the phase angle between the current and the applied voltage. In the figure R1 is in series with X1 and R2 and X2 are in series. R1 and X1 are in parallel with R2 and X2. X1 is an inductor and X2 is a capacitor.
part 2 determine the values of L and C from the first part.

Homework Equations

phase angle= arctan((XC-XC)/R)
v=iZ
XL=2Pi*f*L
XC=1/(2Pi*f*C)
Z= R+jX where j is the square root of -1

The Attempt at a Solution

. [/B]
I feel like the problem is missing something like voltage or frequency but maybe I am just forgetting how to get this from the information given.
I think but am not sure that the phase angle would be 85.8 degrees because of arc((37.7--53.1)/(6.66))=85.8 degrees. (1/10ohms+1/20)^-1=6.66 ohms

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Fyr554 said:

Homework Statement

part 1 Consider the circuit of figure G, where R1=20 ohms R2=10 ohms X1=37.7 ohms X2=-53.1 ohms. Compute the current and the phase angle between the current and the applied voltage. In the figure R1 is in series with X1 and R2 and X2 are in series. R1 and X1 are in parallel with R2 and X2. X1 is an inductor and X2 is a capacitor.
part 2 determine the values of L and C from the first part.

Homework Equations

phase angle= arctan((XC-XC)/R)
v=iZ
XL=2Pi*f*L
XC=1/(2Pi*f*C)
Z= R+jX where j is the square root of -1

The Attempt at a Solution

. [/B]
I feel like the problem is missing something like voltage or frequency but maybe I am just forgetting how to get this from the information given.
I think but am not sure that the phase angle would be 85.8 degrees because of arc((37.7--53.1)/(6.66))=85.8 degrees. (1/10ohms+1/20)^-1=6.66 ohms

Hi Fyr554, Welcome to Physics Forums.

Can you give some details about your calculation of the phase angle? Why did you choose that particular expression? From your description of the circuit the resistors don't seem to be in series. parallel.

Does the following look anything like your mysterious figure G? Did your figure give any hints as to the frequency of the source?
Fig1.gif

<<edit: changed "series" to "parallel" above (based on the figure 6.66 used for resistance in the phase angle expression) >>

Last edited:
Likes Fyr554
That is how the figure in the textbook looked but I didn't have any way of adding that picture to the thread. and no it didn't give anything on the frequency. I didn't know if there was a way to figure that out from the information provided. I emailed my professor in hopes she would be able to help me but o haven't gotten answer. The arctan equation for the phase angle is from the book and I am unsure if that is what I am suppose to use or is even the correct answer.
gneill said:
Hi Fyr554, Welcome to Physics Forums.

Can you give some details about your calculation of the phase angle? Why did you choose that particular expression? From your description of the circuit the resistors don't seem to be in series.

Does the following look anything like your mysterious figure G? Did your figure give any hints as to the frequency of the source?
View attachment 73785

Okay, well for part 1 I would suggest reducing the circuit to its equivalent impedance first. It'll be a single complex number. Then note that by Ohm's law, I = V/R. From that you should be able to deduce what the phase angle of the current should be with respect to the angle of the impedance (how's your basic complex arithmetic?).

For part 2 you need some other information about the circuit in operation, such as frequency or a pair of voltage and current values.

I would like to provide a response to the given content by breaking it down into two parts.

Part 1: In this part, we are given a circuit with various resistors and inductors and capacitors connected in series and parallel. The goal is to compute the current and the phase angle between the current and the applied voltage. However, it seems like the problem is missing some information such as the voltage and frequency. Without this information, it is not possible to accurately calculate the current and phase angle. It is important to always provide all necessary information in order to solve a problem accurately.

Part 2: In this part, we are asked to determine the values of L and C from the first part. Again, without the voltage and frequency, it is not possible to determine the values of L and C accurately. These values are dependent on the voltage and frequency in the circuit. Therefore, it is important to provide all necessary information when solving a problem involving alternating current circuits.

In conclusion, while the given problem may seem straightforward, it is missing some crucial information that is needed to accurately solve it. As a scientist, it is important to always provide all necessary information in order to obtain accurate results.

1. What is an alternating current (AC) circuit?

An alternating current (AC) circuit is a type of electrical circuit that uses alternating current, which is when the electric current changes direction periodically. This is in contrast to a direct current (DC) circuit, which uses a constant flow of current in one direction.

2. How does an alternating current circuit work?

In an AC circuit, the current flows back and forth between positive and negative in a repetitive pattern. This is achieved using a power source, such as a generator, that converts mechanical energy into electrical energy. The current then flows through the circuit, powering any devices connected to it, before returning to the power source.

3. What are the advantages of using an alternating current circuit?

There are several advantages to using an alternating current circuit. First, AC can be easily transformed to different voltages, making it more efficient for long-distance transmission. It is also more suitable for powering large appliances and industrial equipment. Additionally, AC circuits allow for the use of transformers, which are essential for stepping up or stepping down the voltage as needed.

4. What are the components of an alternating current circuit?

An AC circuit typically consists of a power source, such as a generator, a transformer to adjust the voltage, and various devices such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors. It also includes wires or conductors to connect all the components and allow the current to flow.

5. How is the frequency of an alternating current circuit determined?

The frequency of an AC circuit is determined by the power source, which is typically a generator. The speed at which the generator rotates determines the frequency of the current. In most countries, the standard frequency for AC circuits is 50 or 60 Hz, meaning the current changes direction 50 or 60 times per second.