Calculating Voltage, Current, and Power in High Voltage Electrical Systems

• Thread starter ishterz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Currents
In summary, the total resistance of the high voltage power is 4 ohms and the input voltage is 400kV with an input power of 500MW. To calculate the minimum voltage the insulators must withstand without breakdown, the peak voltage would be -400kV. The value of rms current in the power line is approximately 1250 Amps, and the power loss in the power line can be calculated using the formula P=I^2R. The input voltage is specified as an rms value, indicating a peak voltage of -400kV. To find the resistance of the load, one can use the formulas provided and take into account the high power values involved.
ishterz

Homework Statement

Electrical energy supplied by a high voltage power has a total resistance of 4 ohms. At the input to the line the rms voltage is 400kV and the input power is 500MW

Calculate : A) the min voltage that the insulators which support the line must withstand without breakdwon

B) The value of rms current in the power line

C) the power loss in the power line

Homework Equations

P=I^2R
P=0.5IV (average power)
Peak I = 0.707 Irms

The Attempt at a Solution

Is it -400 kV? because I can't understand any other way it can be "minimum" without breakdown

B) I did P= IV and got 1250 Amps and if I use V=IR I get 100,000 Amps, since both current are ridiculously high, I doubt they are right.

C) P= I^2R?

Physics news on Phys.org
The input voltage is specified as an rms value. What does that tell you about the PEAK voltage?

The input power is the product of the input voltage and the input current, so your value of 1250 Amps looks reasonable -- keep in mind that it is a 500 mega-Watt system!

A) Just look at the rms definition for a sine wave, and draw on a paper the sine wave and its rms value.
B) Looks like you have to find the resistance of the load. It's a voltage source and two resistors. Then play with the formulas you wrote.

You are dealing with several megawatts, it's rather normal you get high current values.

1. What is an alternating current (AC)?

An alternating current is an electric current that periodically reverses direction. This means that the flow of electrons in the circuit switches back and forth, rather than staying in one direction. AC is the type of current used in most household appliances and power systems.

2. How does alternating current differ from direct current?

The main difference between AC and DC is the direction of electron flow. In DC, electrons flow in one direction, while in AC, they periodically switch direction. Additionally, AC can be easily transformed to different voltages, while DC cannot.

3. What is the frequency of alternating current?

The frequency of AC is the number of times the current switches direction per second. In most countries, the frequency of AC is 50 or 60 Hertz (Hz), meaning the current changes direction 50 or 60 times per second.

4. What are the advantages of using alternating current?

One advantage of AC is that it can be easily transformed to different voltages using transformers, making it more efficient for long-distance transmission. AC is also safer to use, as it can be easily switched off using a simple switch, while DC requires more complex circuitry to turn off.

5. How is alternating current generated?

Alternating current is typically generated by rotating machines called generators. These generators use a magnetic field and a coil of wire to produce an alternating current. The rotation of the generator creates a constantly changing magnetic field, which in turn induces an alternating current in the wires.