Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Alternating planetary phase layers

1. Mar 21, 2005 #1
    Terrestrial planets in general are solid, or solid with a liquid core. Gaseous planets in general are liquid, or liquid with a solid core.

Can there be planetoids with substantial alternating layers of solid - liquid - solid, or liquid - solid - liquid? (I do not consider Earth's hydrosphere as substantial in this regard.) I believe there are some known moons which qualify.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2005 #2

ohwilleke

Gold Member

As I understand it, the Earth has a gaseous atmosphere, over much of its expanse, a liquid ocean, a solid crust, liquid rock pockets, a solid layer, a liquid layer, and a solid metal core.

http://volcano.und.nodak.edu/vwdocs/kids/volcano_project/volcanoes.html

I see no reason why this couldn't happen elsewhere.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2005
  4. Mar 23, 2005 #3

Nereid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Europa (certainly), Ganymede (almost certainly), and Callisto (maybe) are all at least solid-liquid-solid.

The state which matter is in depends (at least) on its composition (mix of compounds), temperature, and pressure; with a huge set of inputs of the physical properties (e.g. phase diagrams) of a great many compounds, the appropriate geophysical equations (for determining equilibrium conditions), and a lot of patience you could have a lot of fun making all kinds of strange planets! Oh, and making sure you get all the chemistry right too will earn you extra gold stars!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?