1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Alternating Series Question

1. Apr 20, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The problem contained five answer choices, of which I the answerer was to find one that fit the criteria of the question. The question was: "Which series of the following terms would be convergent?".

It listed five series, The answer was this term: 1 + (-1)n / n.

2. Relevant equations

[itex]\Sigma[/itex]1 + (-1)n / n.

3. The attempt at a solution

I find this very confusing simply because whilst separating the series into two separate series, [itex]\Sigma[/itex]1 and [itex]\Sigma[/itex](-1)n / n, The second series converges (yes I was surprised also) by the alternating series test. Originally, I was dumbfounded because of the absolute value test, so I suppose the series is conditionally convergent. Anyways, if [itex]\Sigma[/itex](-1)n / n is convergent and [itex]\Sigma[/itex]1 is divergent, 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1.... + 1 .... +1 (you get the point) Then how can a finite number (the second alternating series) affect convergence? Also, the limit test kind of rules convergence out for this one. Ha.

I may be missing something deceptively simple, so if anyone can help me out here that'd be great!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2013 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Do you mean this series:
    $$\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\left(1 + \frac{(-1)^n}{n}\right)$$
    The first question to ask is whether the terms converge to zero. If not, the series cannot possibly converge.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted