1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Alternative energy career?

1. Jan 17, 2016 #1
    Hello, I have been thinking about this for awhile and struggling with what I want to do so some guidance would be helpful.

Right now I am studying astrophysics and I've been in love with it for the better part of a year being that I find a lot of interest in solving problems in physics and math. However, recently I've started to think more about what I want to do with my life and have decided that I would rather do something more practical and focus my attention into getting into the alternative energy field.

The main reason I am writing this post is because I'm not really sure what to do to try to get into this field. Right now, I was thinking that I would be able to change my major to physics and take some additional material science or sustainability classes, but if there were some other things that I would be able to do to help my chances of breaking into the sustainable energy field some advice would be much appreciated.

I don't know too much about the field, but I know this is something I would like too look into more, so if anyone has experience with this field additional information would be helpful.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2016 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to PF!

The field of "alternative energy" is pretty broad and physics might be ok for it, but electrical engineering - and depending on the specific focus, maybe mechanical engineering - would probably be better targeted.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook