Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Alternative energy concept

1. Oct 9, 2004 #1
    Which uses classic generators with a lot of friction. Also friction is the result of gravitation. An electronic engineer told me a classic generator uses about 30 to 35% of it's power to create the rotation against the electro-magnetic field. He told me that he never saw something similar to my concept(s) and that they should work. Now we need to build a working prototype. That's were the money comes in. For such projects you need a lot. That's why I created some months ago an alternative venture capital system based on Internet, also for other patents from other people. Maybe I should present it in a new debunking thread but it's a business concept. Some will interpret it as self-promoting.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2004 #2
    Indeed HydroE is a solar powered cycling system too. The good points with other solar systems like solarcells is that there is almost no mechanical friction, it's clean, you can apply it locally on small level, and after the initial investment and installation it generates power. The target is to make them better, more efficient. A lot is happening on that level.

For investors it's the ROI that counts. (Return on Investment).
  4. Oct 9, 2004 #3

Staff: Mentor

I think you may be mixing several issues here. Mechanical friction is not a major source of loss in a generator. And electrical "friction" isn't a problem - its the very effect you are trying to create. 30-35% sounds like the efficiency of thermodynamic cycle plant (ie steam engine, gas turbine, etc) - the vast majority of that 65-70% loss isn't friction, its heat. An electric generator itself is upwards of 90% efficient.

As for evaluating your idea, it sounds like you need a mechanical engineer, not an electrical engineer to evaluate it. Anyway, if you can get your patents, then the engineers can help you package a proposal to send out.

If you want to discuss this more (its up to you - I can understand if you're worried about intellectual property), maybe Ivan can split this off into an engineering forum...

edit: thinking about this a little more, were you talking about losses in the turbine itself? Based on what I know about pumps (a pump is a turbine running in reverse), efficiency there is more like 75% and the loss is mostly due to fluid dynamics.
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2004
  5. Oct 9, 2004 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

okay. :smile:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?