Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Alternative housing energy and financing

1. Oct 12, 2005 #1

DocToxyn

Science Advisor

I have some friends that are house shopping and they found a really interesting home with many normal aspects except that it also has solar electric. They were told (unknown source) that they might have problems with bank financing because of this. I also have some other friend who recently built a house and were looking into alternative power ideas, but again, the banks would not back these options.

Does anyone have experience with this? Is it true, is it only a US thing? Any theories as to why they won't promote alternative power?

Note: I'm not trying to start a debate about benefits of energy source X vs Y, just trying to find out if these cases are the norm.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2005 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

It's probably the roof. If not properly designed, a solar array on the roof causes leaks and compromises structural integrity. And "properly designed" means the roof was designed with the intent of putting a solar array on it, not that it was just added later, which I suspect, is how most are done.

I doubt it would have anything to do with the actual technical/financial feasibility of the array. Afterall, that $20,000 granite and brass kitchen doesn't pay for itself either.

And not to point out the obvious, but the only way to know for sure if they'll have problems getting financing from the bank is to ask the bank.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?