Is the Lagrange Equation Valid for All Holonomic Systems?

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of an arbitrary ideal holonomic system with n degrees of freedom using Lagrange's equation. The equation given is \frac{1}{2} \frac{\partial \ddot T}{\partial\ddot q_j} - \frac{3}{2} \frac{\partial T}{\partial q_j} = Q_j, where T is the kinetic energy and qj are generalized coordinates. The approach is to express \dot T and \ddot T in terms of the partial derivatives of T with respect to qj and qid, and then use the chain rule to simplify the equation. However, the validity of this approach is questioned and it is acknowledged that this expression is not
Petar015

Homework Statement

Show that for an arbitrary ideal holonomic system (n degrees of freedom)

[tex]
\frac{1}{2} \frac{\partial \ddot T}{\partial\ddot q_j} - \frac{3}{2} \frac{\partial T}{\partial q_j} = Q_j
[/tex]

where T is kinetic energy and qj generalized coordinates.[/B]

Homework Equations

Lagrange's equation
[tex]
\frac{d}{dt} \frac{\partial T}{\partial\dot q_j} - \frac{\partial T}{\partial q_j} = Q_j
[/tex][/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

We know that [tex] T(q_1,...q_n,\dot q_1,...,\dot q_n,t) [/tex]
The idea is to express [tex] \dot T [/tex] and [tex] \ddot T [/tex] and then plug it into initial equation in order to obtain equivalence with Lagrange's equation.

So we write

[tex] \frac {dT}{dt}=\dot T=\frac{\partial T}{\partial \dot q_j} \ddot q_j + \frac{\partial T}{\partial q_j} \dot q_j + \frac{\partial T}{\partial t} [/tex]

So I figure that I should express [tex] \ddot T [/tex]
in the same manner, but I'm stuck at doing the chain rule for the first 2 terms.
[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
As you say, T = T(q1,q2,...,q1d,q2d,...) so the partial of T with respect to qidd is necessarily zero.

I really don't believe the result that you are trying to prove. I can say with confidence that in almost 60 years of doing dynamics, I have never seen this expression anywhere, and it looks entirely bogus to me. I look forward to whatever light others may bring to this issue. Maybe there is something new under the sun after all!

What is the Alternative Lagrange Equation?

The Alternative Lagrange Equation is a mathematical tool used in physics and engineering to analyze systems with constraints. It is an alternative to the traditional Lagrange equation and is often used when the constraints of a system are difficult to solve for using the traditional method.

How is the Alternative Lagrange Equation derived?

The Alternative Lagrange Equation is derived from the traditional Lagrange equation by introducing a new set of variables. These variables are known as the Lagrange multipliers and are used to incorporate the constraints of a system into the equation.

What are the advantages of using the Alternative Lagrange Equation?

The Alternative Lagrange Equation offers several advantages over the traditional Lagrange equation. It allows for a simpler and more efficient solution to complex systems with constraints. It also provides a better understanding of the underlying physical principles of a system.

What are the limitations of the Alternative Lagrange Equation?

While the Alternative Lagrange Equation can be a useful tool, it is not always applicable to every system. It may not be suitable for systems with non-conservative forces or systems with multiple constraints. Additionally, it may be more complex to solve compared to the traditional Lagrange equation in certain cases.

How is the Alternative Lagrange Equation applied in real-world problems?

The Alternative Lagrange Equation has a wide range of applications in physics and engineering. It is commonly used in mechanics, dynamics, and quantum mechanics to analyze systems with constraints. It is also used in optimization problems, such as finding the shortest path between two points while avoiding obstacles.