Discovering Alternative References for Studying Srednicki's QFT

• Thread starter omephy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Srednicki
In summary, the conversation discusses the challenges of studying Srednicki's QFT book, which is written using phi-cubed theory and often lacks detailed explanations and calculations. The speaker asks for recommendations for other references that also use phi-cubed theory, and suggests Ryder's book as a potential companion to Srednicki's. The conversation also mentions the benefits of using Zee's QFT in a Nutshell and Peskin & Schroeder as supplemental resources, as well as a link to a resource on phi-cubed theory.
omephy
I am studying Srednicki' QFT. What I have found is that this book is very terse. And the author often leaves out most of the calculations. Most importantly, this book is written using phi-cubed theory. Can you suggest me another references written using the phi-cubed theory as I can use it as a refernece?

Physics news on Phys.org
I know nothing about this subject but this book by Ryder does look good. It doesn't have exercises, which may be a good thing because the author can't say see Exercise X in lieu of explaining things. And it looks to be a historically-aligned development, which should help with understanding. Is phi to the 4th similar to phi cubed? I don't know.

As a companion to your book, it may work.

I and most of the people I've talked to about this agree that the best way to learn QFT is through a combination of Zee's QFT in a Nutshell and Peskin & Schroeder. The former gives lucid explanations of what's happening conceptually, which is a huge benefit because a lot of the trouble people have learning QFT is figuring out what the heck they're even doing and why. The latter is a necessary supplement because Zee sacrifices computational detail for clarity.

Ryder, Zee and Peskin --- this trio are written in $\phi^4$ theory. I don't have any problem with the $\phi^4$ theory but my course teacher is follwing Srednicki. Srednicki is very terse and often leaves out detail discussions let alone the calculations. Srednicki is written in $\phi^3$ theory and I have tought that it would be better if I get another reference written in $\phi^3$ theory.

What is "Alternative of Srednicki"?

"Alternative of Srednicki" refers to a potential alternative theory to the Standard Model of particle physics proposed by physicist Mark Srednicki.

What makes "Alternative of Srednicki" different from the Standard Model?

"Alternative of Srednicki" differs from the Standard Model in its approach to explaining the fundamental particles and interactions in the universe. It proposes a different set of particles and interactions than those described in the Standard Model.

Has "Alternative of Srednicki" been proven or accepted by the scientific community?

Currently, "Alternative of Srednicki" is still a theoretical idea and has not been proven or accepted by the scientific community. Further research and experimentation are needed to determine its validity.

What evidence supports the "Alternative of Srednicki" theory?

There is currently no direct evidence supporting the "Alternative of Srednicki" theory. However, some physicists believe that it may offer solutions to some of the unanswered questions and issues in the Standard Model.

What impact could "Alternative of Srednicki" have on our understanding of the universe?

If proven to be a valid theory, "Alternative of Srednicki" could significantly impact our understanding of the fundamental particles and interactions in the universe. It could potentially lead to a deeper understanding of the laws of physics and the nature of the universe.