Alternative power source for garage.

• Thread starter AD
  • Start date
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
If there are a number of buildings involved, maybe you could put in a shared solar power system; paid for by everyone. Then you could all have a limited supply of power for other things as well.

One interesting note on remote micro-solar installations. In California, the state parks use solar for remote emergency phones, lighted signs, weather stations, etc. People have caught on to this fact and steal the solar panels.

Last edited:
GENIERE
To the OP:

Buy a 12vdc golf cart battery, a set of jumper cables and a 12/240-ac inverter of sufficient wattage to power door opener. Twice a week or whenever use your car to charge the battery, i.e. let idle or a tad more revs for about 20 minutes. Read voltage of battery during door opening; needs a charge if voltage drops below 10 volts. No-load voltage of battery is a useless measurement.

Ebay UK – 1000 watt inverter – 94 pounds

Golf car battery about 100 pounds

Jumpers about 10 pounds

I realize this is an ancient topic, but I wanted to add an important tip for anybody who stumbles across this in the archives, like I did.

I have a solar powered garage door system, and one thing I can tell you is that I needed a pure sine wave inverter to run my garage door. The system worked perfectly with a ProSine 1800 ($900 US), but when I replaced it with a cheap ($170) Vector 2000 Watt inverter, the garage door went crazy, stopping at odd times, the lamp blinking on and off, closing and reopening all in one push of the button. http://www.roadtripamerica.com/dashboarding/Power-Inverters.htm" [Broken] have confirmed that this is a general requirement of garage door openers.

Unfortunately pure sine wave inverters are significantly more expensive. In the end it may be cheaper to buy a DC garage door motor, and certainly more efficient. In addition, the boost in efficiency would allow you recharge the system with a smaller solar panel as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Danger
Gold Member
Welcome to PF, incircuitous.
I didn't realize how old this thing is until you pointed it out. It's probably been resolved, but I have a suggestion for anyone contemplating 12VDC for such a thing. Rather than solar, I'd be inclined to use a small windmill connected to an automotive alternator/regulator/battery assembly. You can make a windmill out of sheet metal or even wood, and the rest (except for the battery) can be had at a scrap yard for next to nothing. In fact, you could even use a surplus auto fan for the mill itself. While wind might not be as consistent as solar (depending upon climate), this application doesn't need it to be.