Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Alternative to MCNP for modelling alpha particles?

1. Dec 7, 2018 at 9:15 AM #1
    I am a masters student in the UK. For my project I have to monitor the efficiency of zinc sulphide detectors for monitoring alpha particles in liquid solutions. I need to model things like the proximity of the detector to the liquid, the size of the detector and the thickness of the light-tight foil. The models should be fairly basic as the thesis isn't very long (10,000 words).

My university provided me with MCNP 4C, but it cannot model alpha particles. I have applied for a licence for version 6.2 but it may take months, so I am looking for alternatives.

I have been told about Geant4 and SRIM/TRIM. I would like to know how difficult it is to learn either of these programmes? I am a novice programmer, but know some basics of MCNP.

As Geant4 is written in C++, will it be too difficult for me to get up and running in a few weeks?
    Does SRIM/TRIM have the capabilities for what I need to do?

Thank you in advance

2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted